Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2010, 04:43 PM   #1 
toledoll

Question New Betta fish

I'm looking into getting a Betta fish and I was wondering what would make the best companion in a 10 gallon tank. I was considering getting like 3 guppies but I'm concerned that the colors of the guppies might evoke aggression from the betta. I was also wondering how I should put them in the tank (should I put them all in at the same time or what). Sorry if my questions sound a little dumb, but I want to make sure I do everything right.
toledoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:57 PM   #2 
wised

toledoll i am not an expert on bettas yet but i have 2 myself and both have very different characters, my opinion would be no as you dont know if he is aggressive or not, you can take the chance but i would advice not too. I am in the same situation i have a 1 lonely betta the only thing i will put in will either be some shrimp and snails.. hope my advice will help and im sure others will post as well.. Good luck!
wised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:02 PM   #3 
toledoll

I know this isn't the right section to ask this in, but I'd hate to have to clog up the forums with my questions. I have well water at my house and I was wondering how I should go about preparing the tank with it.
toledoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:45 PM   #4 
Bettas143

I'd prefer them to be alone since that's what they do in the wild but it's your choice. You can put snails and shrimps. They might nip on the antena thing on the snail tho. Shrimp are good too but bettas sometimes attack them. Guppies are good to but they may also attack them. If they breed, the fry will most likely get eaten.

I have aquestion. Howdo you make a thread?
Bettas143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:57 PM   #5 
shinybetta

Corydoras cats are good. Shrimp are good. Neon Tetras are good. Anything small, plain (usually), and non-nippy is good. Rummynose tetras to. No gourami's, this leads to fights. White cloud and Rosy red minnows are good.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:03 PM   #6 
baylee767

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinybetta View Post
Corydoras cats are good. Shrimp are good. Neon Tetras are good. Anything small, plain (usually), and non-nippy is good. Rummynose tetras to. No gourami's, this leads to fights. White cloud and Rosy red minnows are good.
+1

and the guppies might work... if their either female guppies or plain. I say introduce the other species first since you're supposed to introduce the most aggressive last. Not all Bettas respond well to tank mates.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:04 PM   #7 
ChicagoPete

Im not to keen with you choosing guppies. They have flashy tails like bettas and your guy mite get agressive thinking hes got other males with him.
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:17 AM   #8 
wised

we use well water aswell in our tanks you just have to get yourself a water kit to make sure nitrate isn't too high
wised is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 galllon, betta, guppies