Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2010, 12:33 PM   #1 
Nutt007

Some questions about feeding

Why do some people soak their betta's pellets in garlic juice?
And I have the feeling I am doing something wrong when I feed Bloom. Should I soak his pellets so it is easier to eat? He looks bloated after I feed him.
Nutt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:36 PM   #2 
Malvolti

If your fish looks bloated after feeding then you are probably over feeding just a little. How many pellets and how often do you feed? How big are the pellets?

The reson some people soak their pellets is because their fish don't like the hard pellets. I've heard garlic juice helps their appetite if they are picky eaters. I imagine it could also be used for other more medical reasons but I don't know much of those.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:44 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

Garlic is a natural anti-parasitic... for many animals, not just fish. So many fish owners who want to avoid using other medications feed their fish garlic constantly. Its one of those things that you have to do all the time or it doesn't work.

There's many ways to do it. I learned my method from Oldfishlady back when I was just beginning to really get into the hobby big time. What I do is chop up a clove of fresh garlic until it is as fine as I can make it. Then I mix the pellets into the garlic and smush it up as much as possible without mashing the pellets. I then take the entire mixture and microwave it for 30sec so the garlic juice can be absorbed. Let it cool and then it's ready to feed. Keep the extra in a tupperware container in the fridge or freezer and you're good to go.

If your fish looks bloated right after you feed but he's still digesting normally (i.e. when you come back later he's not bloated) I'd say he's ok. I like my fish to have round bellies after a meal but always make sure they're not bloated.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:38 PM   #4 
Nutt007

Thanks. What can you to to treat bloating? I have a fasting day, and I have even tried cutting back his diet. I feed him 6 pellets, 3 at morning 3 at night. Am I overfeeding him? I really feel like I am doing something wrong.
Nutt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:19 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

Does he look bloated all the time? He may have parasites. What does his poo look like? If its stringy or white he's probably bloated due to parasites.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote