Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2010, 03:15 AM   #1 
Kiku

Unhappy Help this poor helpless betta newbie!

This is my first post here, so hello! My name is Kiku and I'm 16.
I got my very first Betta fish three days ago. His name is Kyorbit and I'd love to give him a proper introduction but I'm afraid the poor dear may be getting very sick! Well, first the essentials.
He was perfectly fine until this morning, this marks my fourth day with him. I peeked into his tank and noticed he had swollen gills. I did a full tank water change (and used the water conditioner as instructed) and hoped for the best until I found out what else to do, but he seems rather lethargic tonight. It could be because he's cold (it was snowing today and I'm struggling to keep my room warm), though his tank water is at 73 degrees F. I'm so worried about him!
His tank is 3 gallons (I'd love to have larger but for now, 3 gallons is all I can afford)
It is filterless, but it is heated. He's a single fish, a bachelor if you will =)
I feed him 3 pellets in the morning, a (very) tiny afternoon snack of 1-2 little freeze dried bloodworms, and his dinner consists of 2-3 pellets depending on the little guy's appetite.
As I just got him recently, I didn't plan to do a water change so soon, but when I noticed his gills becoming inflamed I panicked a bit and did a full tank water change. I know that stresses the poor things out but I was so concerned for his health. As a water conditioner I use "Betta ULTIMATE" which advertises itself as a product to destroy chloramines, eliminate ammonia and chlorine, eliminate heavy metals, etc etc and so on.
I have not yet done a water test, he's a very new fish! Again I am on quite a budget, but I'll really do my best to take care of poor Kyorbit.

If I am doing anything obscenely wrong PLEASE let me know because I have all the best intentions for my new fishy.
Kiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:25 AM   #2 
Tsuhei

Hello, and welcome to the forum...

First, 73F is far too cold. Bettas are tropical fish and require 76F-82F for water temp.

How often do you do water changes? For a three gallon tank, you need to change his water at least twice a week - 1-50% water change and 1-100% water change.

Full water changes will not stress him out too terribly bad..as long as you don't chase him for minutes with a net, he'll be fine.

When you do water changes, do you treat the water prior to adding it to the tank or after? When you add water to a tank, it should always be pre-treated...he could get chlorine / chemical burns this way.

For now, raise the temperature of his water and do 100% water changes for 7 days...keep his water pristine...inflamed gills are usually from a buildup of ammonia or chlorine damage.
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:28 AM   #3 
Kiku

Well, my plan was to do 25% water changes every other day and 100% changes every week, but then this happened! Again, he's very, very new. I'll be sure to keep his water very clean =) I'll try to keep him warmer, but it's a cold season and my family can't afford to heat the house well, so I'm relying on one of the miniature aquarium heaters. It was doing fine until it started snowing >_< thank you for the advice! I had a question...how long should I wait to see improvement? I want to make sure I'm not waiting too long just in case he needs some sort of medication.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:30 AM   #4 
Kiku

Also I forgot to add ^^ I condition the water before I add it =)
Old 12-31-2010, 03:40 AM   #5 
baylee767

I have more advice for that inflamed gill. Do as Tshuei said with the 100% water changes for 7 days. Then add 1 tsp/ gallon of AQUARIUM salt. Don't use regular table salt or any other type of salt since they contain different chemicals...

As for a heater... you want an adjustable heater. 25 watts works fine, I use one but can't remember what brand it is... Grr.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:43 AM   #6 
Tsuhei

Medication is a last-ditch effort...clean water is the first thing you want to do.

Agreed with baylee, by the way. Aquarium salt can help..but sometimes, for these instances, it can irritate gills that are swollen. Do not overdose on aquarium salt and properly acclimate him to the water each time to make sure he doesn't react oddly to the salt.

When you add the water, dissolve the salt in another cup with some of the tank water and add it back in, stirring it in gently. Then float his cup in the tank, add a bit of tank water to his cup and siphon it out, and repeat a few more times over the course of 15-20 minutes before allowing him to swim out of his container.

I use a Marineland 25-watt adjustable heater....it is very reliable if you can find one in a pet store in your location.
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:44 AM   #7 
Kiku

Ah! I sure hope Kyorbit recovers =( thank you for all your advice, I'll be sure to follow it religiously. I would hate for him to depart so soon for pure negligence on my part ;_; He's a beautiful deep red veiltail, I'm so proud of him.