Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2010, 01:20 AM   #21 
Malvolti

It pretty much is gold in the filter (not literally). Just some good ole' bacteria. Best way to clean it to maintain water flow is to swish it around in a bucket of old tank water. Tap water will kill all the good bacteria there, tank water will preserve some.

My betta goes berserk when I take him out for cleanings. It's so bad that I had to stop taking him out and just do more frequent smaller water changes.

Hopefully someone who knows more about plants like OFL can help you out with the anacharis. I've read that on occasion some plant when put in a new tank will appear to die off but then regrow after a short adjustment period. All you can do if that's the case is to trim back the dead stuff and hope it springs back.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:25 AM   #22 
scootshoot

He looks like a Marble, lucky you!

His eye has gotten significantly better
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:42 AM   #23 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvolti View Post
Tap water will kill all the good bacteria there
... eep
Totally rinsed it in tap water >,>

WELL guess the cycle begins again!

Also... (BEcause I'm insane)

Drax is being weird not in a sick way just... I dunno maybe he's just finally adjusted...

Weird? Lemme explain this morning after I fed him 2 pellets and 1 freezedried bloodworm (What? Their tiny!) He just immediately Darted off to that small cave... house thing... (Look at the pic that shows the whole tank, the thing in the bottom left) and fiddles around in there... then comes out flaring at me... darts back into the cave... comes out flaring ... and rinse and repeat. I got the message and I left him alone for awhile >,>
I just have this feeling he's like either building a bubble nest in the dome of that cave thing or ... he's plotting his escape. Either option he seems to be enjoying himself with whatever it is he's doing.

...... FINAL note.....s

Uh... is it normal for a small film to appear on the water surface? The water itself is crystal clear (Now that I've gotten the hang of that Gravel Vac) cept for that film... even after that complete water change a few days ago... the film came back. It's not bad looking... just... a very light film... it's not setting off my panic button so I'm not getting too worried about it *Sips White Chai Tea*

Lastly... teeny tiny little white dots appeared on the Anacharis plants at first I thought they were bubbles... but their SLIGHTLY Opaque and... just linger their... now and then I see one floating around in the water. Even after cleaning the plants during that water change the little dot things came back. Now these ARE setting off my panic button... >,>

*Facepalm*
EDIT DUH Figured out WHY the Anacharis's are dying Apparently they don't like being bound (This idiot has them rubberbanded to rocks) and will rot away Thus why the bottoms of them look like crap >,> *Looks at tank... See's Drax looking waaaay too comfy* Meh I'll deal with it in a few hours... the plant can survive a few more hours don't wanna freak out Drax while he's having fun with his flaring and secretive cave... stuff.

Last edited by DormDrax; 12-28-2010 at 09:48 AM.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:06 AM   #24 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootshoot View Post
He looks like a Marble, lucky you!

His eye has gotten significantly better
*Flails*

I think it is! (WAY too optimistic)
Then again I have been salting the tank with Epsom and AQ so it better be improving... ( I REALLY don't want to deal with anymore fish meds )

Also kinda nervous that if this Anacharis dies that , that means my water must suck but I've turned on the lamp next to the tank (Old yellow one with shade so it's not just blinding Drax) so we shall seeee
Old 12-29-2010, 11:14 PM   #25 
PewPewPew

I know this is an older post, but I must say, DormDrax, that I laughed HARD at the "If you asked him, hed probably say 'I have a bad eye O.o?'" X,D I get it.
I think hes a marble, you lucky thing.
Best wishes on that eye..the one thats, you know, getting better :3 <3
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:34 AM   #26 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
I know this is an older post, but I must say, DormDrax, that I laughed HARD at the "If you asked him, hed probably say 'I have a bad eye O.o?'" X,D I get it.
I think hes a marble, you lucky thing.
Best wishes on that eye..the one thats, you know, getting better :3 <3
hehe

I think he's blind in it unfortunately... he moves it though... Piece of food will pass by it and he didn't seem to notice yet... KEEP looking at me as if I didn't drop it in... "LOOK BEHIND YOU! I'tS BEHIND YOU! HURRY! NO STOP PACING LOOKING AT ME! UUUUGGGHHH THE FILTER JET CAUGHT IT...
Old 01-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #27 
daynabunny

With your plants, DormDrax, I do planted tanks with all my fish (I have three established tanks) and it helps bunches. Less cleaning, less fluctuation with levels of various things, looks nicer, keeps the water more oxygenated...no downsides that I've found yet. I read about your Anacharis and the white dots, lol, but let me give you some other tips on plants. Here's all my secrets:

True aquatics! I like water sprites and Java ferns, Amazon swords and the like. My betta boys adore water sprites to hang out in and once properly lit/fertilized, they grow like mad, they're wonderful. (I have a blue crayfish who takes care of the extra plants in his own tank, heh.) Water sprites also resemble the popular leafy green plastic plants everyone buys. I have a lot of people ask me "Are those really real?" when they see my tanks or see photos of them. Also, water sprites don't need substrate. You can "plant" them in gravel for the planted look, but they do fine floating. I've got a mess of them floating in my poor boy's hospital hex right now and he's laying on them near the top. He doesn't need to do much more than lift his head to breathe, and right now that's a real good thing.

Proper lighting: Your LEDs are not gonna cut it. Your plants want and need fluorescent lighting, point, period. The bulbs aren't expensive and you can get them at the pet store. You can even pick the ones they say are better for plant growing...I haven't tried them, I wouldn't know, I just use regular ones.

Fertilizer: Bottle of FloraPride, follow the directions on the back, you're golden.
daynabunny is offline   Reply With Quote