Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2010, 08:52 PM   #1 
Duncan13

Temporary Housing

So usually I don't have to use a heater for any of my betta tanks because the temperature in my room stays warm enough so my bettas don't need a heater. But this year, the temperature in Shanghai is getting colder, and my room isn't able to stay at its usual temperature. I checked the temperature and it was only 21-22 Celcius. Also, my bettas were all slowing down, and not swimming as much. I only have 1 spare heater, and I can't take the heaters from my turtles tanks since they would die in 21- 22 degrees water. I needed to come up with a quick solution for my bettas or they would freeze. So I came up with this. I ordered these boxes that stick onto the side of the tank for each of my bettas. They should arrive today. There are holes so that water flows in and out. So basically, I would put each of my bettas in one of the boxes and stick them on the tank, so they would all get heated. I also have a spare sponge filter that I am going to use. This is only a temporary setup for like 1-2 weeks until I can get more heaters or something. I drew a picture of what the setup is going go look like. (Sorry I'm a bad drawer.) Do you think this is okay for 1-2 weeks? I know the boxes are small but its the only thing I can think of for right now. The boxes are bigger than in the picture, maybe 1/3 to 1/2 gallons.
Attached Images

Duncan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:58 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

I think that should be fine. It's better than them being cold. If it's your only choice, then it's better than nothing.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:20 PM   #3 
MrVampire181

Looks great!
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:27 PM   #4 
Duncan13

Ok, thats good. I wasn't sure if it was a good idea or not. :)
Old 01-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #5 
Duncan13

Agg I don't know what to do now... the temporary boxes haven't arrived yet! They might have been delayed because of the New year break. Also, the temperature isn't getting any better. I floated one little guy that didn't look to well in a cup in the filtered/heated tank. Since they're not here yet, I don't know what to do :(((((.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:04 AM   #6 
Duncan13

They finally arrived today, but they are practically useless. The picture on the website I ordered the boxes from is a complete LIE. In the picture it shows two bettas divided in one of the boxes that I ordered. In the picture, the boxes look pretty big. But today, when I opened the package, the individual compartments are only as big as one of the betta cups at pet stores!!!!! I am outraged, and I definitely won't order from them again, since their product is a lie. I don't know what to do now. The compartments are definitely too small for two bettas, plus, the compartments are one on top, one on bottom. The betta on the bottom would drown, since bettas need have access to air. Right? I don't know what do do. Can I house one betta in one of the boxes? I found two other hang on boxes that I can use for the other bettas, but I'm not sure it will work. Since the boxes are so small, I'm going to have to plan something bigger for them to live in immediately. Please give me some advice, I don't know what to do!
Old 01-03-2011, 04:54 AM   #7 
baylee767

Maybe you could float them in their cups until you can afford heaters, and put one betta in the box thing. Or you can keep them in the top ones (Is it a Betta condo you got?) If it is a condo I've seen youtube videos of Bettas in them, and they were doing just fine. Seeing as in the wild for a short period of time during the dry season Bettas have to live in small muddy puddles, I think that you could keep the Bettas in there temporarily

But they would have to stay in there for a shorter period of time if you can afford and order heaters or find them at a nearby fish store.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:01 AM   #8 
Duncan13

Thanks for the advice, I ordered two boxes, which were originally supposed to house 4 bettas (2 per box) but since the boxes are too small, right now, I put 1 in each box. I don't think I have the betta condo. The other ones are floating in the other two hang on boxes I found. There is one last one that is directly in the tank. I will upload pics as soon as I have time but right now I'm incredibly busy (got big project to finish, other hw, tanks to clean, a dog to walk, I have to clean my room, :(

Last edited by Duncan13; 01-03-2011 at 05:06 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:39 AM   #9 
dr2b

Another option may be to get some tupperware containers of some sort and poke holes in the top of it. Then, at least float them in the tank. You'll have to change their water a little more often, but it will at least keep their temperature more constant.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote