Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2011, 10:13 AM   #11 
kholder

I know this is going to sound corny, but back in the day, when I "inherited" two bettas, one was in a 1.5 gal. unheated, unfiltered, untreated tank and the other in just a 1/2 gal. bowl.

They looked great, they blowed bubbles constantly. Water changes were maybe once a week. They were both about a year and a half to two years old when I got them.

Water changes were done at 100%, bowl and small tank were scrubbed with Palmolive along with the rocks and the few small fake plants. I would then fill the bowls back up, straight out of the tap and put the little guys back in (and continue to overfeed)...and, again, the bubble factory started back up again. This went on for months.

Then I found this site and found out EVERYTHING I was doing wrong. : ) The guys got moved to a 10 gal. divided tank - too stressful, so got a five gal. and separated them. Buddy died about a month later of no "apparent" cause, maybe just old.

Just saying, in my time of lack of betta care knowledge, it's amazing the guys lived at all, and appeared very happy and healthy. I know it's important to do the very best you can for any pet that you own, as you chose them, they did not chose you, but in my experience, the margin of error with these guys...at least the ones I have/had, has been wide.

Since becoming more knowledgible (thanks to BettaFish.com and you all on here), I went through the "overprotective mother" stage and found myself stressed on giving the guys the best care ever. I am relaxing a bit now and just enjoying my guys, my new shrimps and new snail. I can only do the best I can, but when it becomes stressful and no longer enjoyable, other arrangements will be made.
kholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:16 AM   #12 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
It's fine. I always freak out everytime I bleach my jars or tanks.
*High Fives*
Hooray for fellow Paranoia!
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:55 PM   #13 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kholder View Post
I know this is going to sound corny, but back in the day, when I "inherited" two bettas, one was in a 1.5 gal. unheated, unfiltered, untreated tank and the other in just a 1/2 gal. bowl.

They looked great, they blowed bubbles constantly. Water changes were maybe once a week. They were both about a year and a half to two years old when I got them.

Water changes were done at 100%, bowl and small tank were scrubbed with Palmolive along with the rocks and the few small fake plants. I would then fill the bowls back up, straight out of the tap and put the little guys back in (and continue to overfeed)...and, again, the bubble factory started back up again. This went on for months.

Then I found this site and found out EVERYTHING I was doing wrong. : ) The guys got moved to a 10 gal. divided tank - too stressful, so got a five gal. and separated them. Buddy died about a month later of no "apparent" cause, maybe just old.

Just saying, in my time of lack of betta care knowledge, it's amazing the guys lived at all, and appeared very happy and healthy. I know it's important to do the very best you can for any pet that you own, as you chose them, they did not chose you, but in my experience, the margin of error with these guys...at least the ones I have/had, has been wide.

Since becoming more knowledgible (thanks to BettaFish.com and you all on here), I went through the "overprotective mother" stage and found myself stressed on giving the guys the best care ever. I am relaxing a bit now and just enjoying my guys, my new shrimps and new snail. I can only do the best I can, but when it becomes stressful and no longer enjoyable, other arrangements will be made.

I know what you mean. My first 2 bettas were in half gallon vases and lived for 2.5 to 3 years.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:03 AM   #14 
BettaHeart

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kholder View Post

Thanks I appreciate it
Ghost is doing alot better today the only unfortunate news now is that a new un-named pale yellow/black face crown-tail disappeared during the night and im sure he jumped out of his tank and into the sink. sigh.
Anyways life goes on i guess
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:59 AM   #15 
KennyBooBear

Bummer, and is it me or did this website just change. Now it says tropicalfishkeeping.com? WHAT HAPPENED!?!?!?
KennyBooBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:05 AM   #16 
Tryin2fish89

compatibility

Just wondering if my tank was ok. I have one pictus catfish, 6 syphrea tetras, a chinese algea eater, and 2 african leaf fish. Is that too many fish, or could i add another pictus? Also are these fish compatible? 30 gallon rectangle tank
Tryin2fish89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:06 AM   #17 
baylee767

Start a thread under compatability...
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:09 AM   #18 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyBooBear View Post
Bummer, and is it me or did this website just change. Now it says tropicalfishkeeping.com? WHAT HAPPENED!?!?!?
They're linked sites. bettafish is just the betta section on TFK.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:38 AM   #19 
KennyBooBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
Start a thread under compatability...
I know what you're thinking, I lol'd too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
They're linked sites. bettafish is just the betta section on TFK.
So I totally knew that...... no I didn't. /facepalm

Anyhow, sorry bettalover for the hijack haha, carry on. Any updates on the ninja fish?
KennyBooBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:08 PM   #20 
BettaHeart

Ghost is doing fine now, showing no adverse effects gladly
thanks to all for their advice everything has been much appreciated
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote