Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2010, 08:55 PM   #11 
BabyBalooga

Yeahh. Thats deffinitly possible. I just thought it could be something known I was missing because he only started to act up after I changed the tank.
BabyBalooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:21 PM   #12 
TRISHIESfishie

I had to add a heater and then change it for a different heater and both times my betta got sick. Luckily I was able to help him. I never had a problem until I added/changed the heater. So now if I have to change out my heater I will take him out first. I don't know why the adding the heater affected him that way. Maybe it happened to your fish too? I am very sorry you lost your fish.
TRISHIESfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:22 PM   #13 
shinybetta

Possible problems:
1. To high ammonia (didn't change water enough)
2. May have been cold before adding heater and he couldn't adapt to the temperature change because his body was to cold
3. A problem you couldn't (or could, but didn't know how) deal with

I am thinking 1 or 2 caused 3. Sorry about your fish =(
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:38 AM   #14 
JD3P

I agree with shinybetta. Basically next time, if you get another fish that is, you need to change the water more than only a few times per month. Also use a water conditioner, it is important so that the water you are using doesn't burn his fins. It's just a precaution you should take. A tip for the heater...just make sure that when you place the heater in the tank that you only turn up the temp every hour, about two degrees until you reach the temp you want. I keep mine at 76-80 depending, usually 80. Since you have gone through so many fish so quickly...maybe you should consider the more frequent water changes. I honestly think that may have done it =[ although I'm no fish doctor. You should also get a test kit so you can actually see for yourself the levels of your tank. That way you will really want to be more persistent with the upkeep. Also check your fish before you buy them and make sure their bodies are healthy and the fins aren't damaged. Maybe the place you buy from sells unhealthy bettas? Good luck.
JD3P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:46 AM   #15 
baylee767

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD3P View Post
I agree with shinybetta. Basically next time, if you get another fish that is, you need to change the water more than only a few times per month. Also use a water conditioner, it is important so that the water you are using doesn't burn his fins. It's just a precaution you should take. A tip for the heater...just make sure that when you place the heater in the tank that you only turn up the temp every hour, about two degrees until you reach the temp you want. I keep mine at 76-80 depending, usually 80. Since you have gone through so many fish so quickly...maybe you should consider the more frequent water changes. I honestly think that may have done it =[ although I'm no fish doctor. You should also get a test kit so you can actually see for yourself the levels of your tank. That way you will really want to be more persistent with the upkeep. Also check your fish before you buy them and make sure their bodies are healthy and the fins aren't damaged. Maybe the place you buy from sells unhealthy bettas? Good luck.

+1
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:05 PM   #16 
BETTACHKALOVE

I agree with u guys. The only one thing i have betta at home, and at work.Also one of my friend has betta. At home I using spigot water with water conditioner and at work i using DEER PARK SPRING WATER. I never put any conditioner in the spring water,and my friend using the same brand spring water without water conditioner.

I don't know is that wrong? Well the betta at work about 10 month old.I didn't have problems yet :)

I have 8 bettas at home and i take care of them the same way and one get sick. I guess they have different immunity?

I don't understand why betta fish get sick easier then other fish. I had 10 gall tank before with 4 different fish and betta get sick while other didn't. I didn't even treated water in the tank after i separate that betta. It was 4 years ago. Since then i have each of my betta in 2 gall tanks.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:24 PM   #17 
JD3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETTACHKALOVE View Post
I agree with u guys. The only one thing i have betta at home, and at work.Also one of my friend has betta. At home I using spigot water with water conditioner and at work i using DEER PARK SPRING WATER. I never put any conditioner in the spring water,and my friend using the same brand spring water without water conditioner.

I don't know is that wrong? Well the betta at work about 10 month old.I didn't have problems yet :)

I have 8 bettas at home and i take care of them the same way and one get sick. I guess they have different immunity?

I don't understand why betta fish get sick easier then other fish. I had 10 gall tank before with 4 different fish and betta get sick while other didn't. I didn't even treated water in the tank after i separate that betta. It was 4 years ago. Since then i have each of my betta in 2 gall tanks.
I could be wrong, but I think bettas get sick more often than other fish is because they stress so easily. I would assume the stress lowers their immune system and so if there is any small introduction of a disease or irritant it would automatically affect them. I guess that's why they say to use stress coat and make sure the water is pristine with 0 ammonia.
JD3P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
died, heater