Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2011, 12:33 AM   #1 
Salia

Diagnosis help please!

A couple of weeks ago I bought my betta, Frank at Petco. He's a charming little guy that loves to see me, wiggles at his food menacingly before he snaps it up and has a bright and happy personality. But I'm worried that he might be sick..

I'm including a picture of Frank, I'm not sure if the golden/green hue on him is Velvet or if it's part of his natural coloring. He seems to have some minor fin rot going on as well on his rear fin but it's improving slowly. So I guess my main question is, about the golden hue and black "specks" on his tail. Is it velvet or is he supposed be be like this? I've seen other blue bettas and they don't seem to have this hue. I've seen pictures of fish sick with velvet that look somewhat like Frank but much more severe green/gold all over.

Here's his pic followed by the basic info I have available.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5g
What temperature is your tank? 84
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, carbon but it's out at the moment because of the medication.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no

Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? He lives alone

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? freeze dried bloodworms and some pellets.
How often do you feed your betta fish? a small amount twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every day since the filter's out. (was 50% twice a week and 100% once a week with the carbon filter in.)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? half a rounded teaspoon of aquarium salt and 2 drops of QuickCure. 1/4 lid of NovAqua Plus and 1/4 lid of AmQuel Plus to condition the water.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I have not, buying a test kit tomorrow.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Bought him like this.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He was rubbing against rocks and spitting out food but no longer, now he's frisky and has a healthy appetite
When did you start noticing the symptoms? day after i brought him home, sadly he came sick from Petco =/
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? i tried aquarisol for over a week and it didn't seem to do anything. added aquarium salt and QuickCure instead yesterday after 100% water change and filter removal. turned off lighting in case it's velvet.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Honestly don't know, I've just had him for a couple weeks and I got him sick.
How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea but he doesn't look like he's fully mature to me, he's a bit small and he doesn't make bubble nests.

If it is velvet, should I continue with the QuickCure and if so for how long? Or should i try something else like Coppersafe? Thanks in advance. (I took out all his plants as the QuickCure bottle was saying something about potential staining).

Thanks in advance! I really care a lot about Frank and want to make sure he has the best possible care I can give him. I know his tank is a bit small and I have plans to start a bigger one for him, complete with real plants, in the near future.
Salia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the wonderful world of Betta keeping...sorry your Betta isn't well.....Frank is a lovely Betta by the way.....

IMO-the coloration I can see on the pic looks like normal part of his coloration-since he is having other symptoms-flashing or rubbing on objects and decreased appetite that has since resolved...its hard to say what was wrong with him-so your prompt treatment was effective

I would continue your treatment for the full course as directed on the medications label you are using-once you start it is best to complete the treatment especially when they are responding.....

And for the fin rot-I would do the aquarium salt 1tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes for 10 day

In 1.5g filtered tanks-I have found that the filter itself to be part of the problem with my long heavy fin males...I get kinda the flag in the wind effect and the tail/fins would always look tattered and fighting a secondary infection all the time-sometimes, the filter needs to be removed or baffled to prevent this for long term fin health....by the looks of things you are providing great care and water changes for an unfiltered tank already

With the long heavy delicate fins you have to watch the water movement, gravel and other items in the tank for possible causes of fin damage and fix that to prevent....sometimes that is all that is needed along with lot of fresh clean dechlorinated water, good nutrition and time....

Keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #3 
DormDrax

*Shakes head*

Ah another Paranoid Betta Owner! I'm Drax's owner I'm just as Paranoid! *Holds out hand*

Frank looks like he's in good shape despite the condition so I don't think you should be in panic mode yet! The finrot seems to be very minor and in early stages so with treatment it will go away in no time! Drax has a strange coloring as well that in some light looks like velvet too but he's fine. I hear there's a flashlight thing you can do to make sure...

I love Frank's coloring!

His tails seem abit Raggy but so were Drax's for awhile...

*EDIT*
Actually... that looks more like tail biting... which sometimes is something they just do so no worries. They do it to swim better sometimes. He DOES have a very large curtain for a tail.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:13 AM   #4 
Salia

awesome, thank you for the quick responses! i'll see what i can do about toning down the water flow in the tank a bit. maybe i can put a tall plant right in front of the filter or something.. thanks again :)
Salia is offline   Reply With Quote