Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #21 
vaygirl

I totally get it. My husband taught graphic design after getting a bachelor's in fine arts. I'm a craft-a-holic. I tinker with my tanks constantly. I tinker with my house constantly. In fact, I just bought a third patchwork quilt in a year trying to get the right 'look'.

For medium/long plants that are easy, I really like water onion. It grows tall and sort of spirals. When it hits the top of the water it floats across the top. Corkscrew vallisneria are also supposed to be pretty easy. Water wisteria is also nice and easy but it can drop leaves and get messy. Um... Lancelota are gorgeous and easy. Wendtii crypts are also very nice. All of mine are growing well, especially in my 10 gallon. I have red and green. They're both doing well.

For fert, I'd go with what Byron says. I use seachem flourish but it can melt some plants.

The API master kit is a good one. Mine has lasted well over a year so far.

Edit- Lol @ the obscure result thing. You will NOT! It's so easy.

Last edited by vaygirl; 01-04-2011 at 02:21 PM.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:20 PM   #22 
dr2b

A note on crypt plants is that they do experience crypt melting or crypt rot when you first get them. It's normal as the adjust. They are also a great judge of whether something is changing in your water. They are sensitive to water parameter changes and will begin to melt if something is way off. My boyfriend had Corkscrew, it got super tall hehe. It was one happy plant :)
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:21 PM   #23 
purplemuffin

The master kit is worth it, really! If your fish were to get sick and you only had an ammonia tester you wouldn't be able to tell if he was sick from a nitrite spike, ph fluctuating..etc. All sorts of things you could miss. Plus this will last you FOREVER! So even in the future with other fish you can use the same kit!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #24 
DormDrax

Just so you all know... knowing me (You'll learn soon enough) I'll probably end up buying all these plants being mentioned XD and just see what Drax seems to mingle around most. (Don't worry you already know I'm OCD about water... why not let me get alot of plants that I can always spend time trimming them and not cleaning the water hehe)

I don't have MUCH gravel, I'll probably just find more shells in my collection (from vacations long past) and find heavy partially shattered Spiral shells and use them as anchors.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:29 PM   #25 
vaygirl

You have a lot of room for plants, so go for it. My 10 gallon is loaded with em. You can also buy med or large river rocks at Petco and anchor with that. Some of those rocks are stunning.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #26 
dr2b

Plants make the tank so gorgeous. And as vaygirl said, you have 10 gallons so go for it. It'll look great in the end :)
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #27 
DormDrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2b View Post
Plants make the tank so gorgeous. And as vaygirl said, you have 10 gallons so go for it. It'll look great in the end :)
You don't know what you allowing me to do...

Too late to comment now... bout to do my chores (Leaf Raking... when home for Christmas I'm pretty much the butler for my parents) then off to PetSmart... CIAO FOR NOW!
Old 01-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #28 
vaygirl

Gosh, now I know why I need a son! Happy shopping!
Old 01-04-2011, 03:12 PM   #29 
Alex09

My plants have been doing great with this supplement. I got it at petco for $7 I think
http://www.petmountain.com/product/a...upplement.html

You dont have some high tech planted tank so no need to waste your money on fancy fertilizers... My java ferns love that stuff - They have become a lovely shade of green ever since I got it. I also use API root tabs for root feeders.

As for the kit, You dont have to get the entire thing. You can get the ammonia kit and a nitrate (or NitrIte?) kit separately and save some money that way. IF you do opt to go for the entire kit get it online, way cheaper. Walmart.com sells one for $20 vs my local petco that sells practically the same thing for $40.

Tall plants... Apongetons! You can buy them as bulbs at walmart or petco and they grow tall I hear. Just make sure you have enough substrate for them to take root. Petco also sells Java ferns in the tubes, As you may know the tubes come in large sizes as well.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:47 PM   #30 
DormDrax

*Comes back with several bags... none of which you see a test Kit*

>,>

Shut Up...

Let me explain...

I got the water tested... Don't know the numbers but here's what the person who tested the water said (Told her what my tank is and that I have just one Betta)

Ammonia: None
Chlorine: None
Nitrates: High
NitrItes: High
(She said other things but I forgot but that they were good)

Told her how OCD I am about cleaning... I asked about the master API Kit and she said I really didn't want to get it. That I could come in at ANY time and get the water tested and to not test it for a week since I've just NOW stopped doing the heavy cleaning. To wait a week and then come have it tested again for Free.
My Penny Pinching mom is standing right there too... SO WHAT WAS I SUPPOSED TO SAY!? She just gave me a look and I'm like. "Um... right I don't need this... ehh...hehe... *Sighs* I'll just come back again..."

I did manage (We were in a hurry so I REALLY REALLY couldn't browse, my dad gets mad if dinner isn't on the table at 5:30pm.(When he gets home from work... which is the City Court House) So I didn't want to have my mom wait. Even though I just murmured all the way home... about why I couldn't drive (She won't let me drive her new car >,> ... so I take turns fast ehe...)

... let me restart... I did manage to grab 3 plants before I was pretty much dragged off by my 'frantic-to-get-dinner-started-mom' not blaming her haha just I wished I had had more time.

I grabbed an Anubias,... the other 2 none of you mentioned since they didn't have any of those sadly. The other 2 are... 1 Kyoto Grass, and 1 Wisteria... it was the same old guy so I trusted him.

I also got 2 bags of Top Fin Stones... each just for a dollar... there pretty haha.

I'll wait a week on cleaning and get the water tested... if it's totally bonkers I'll probably be able to 'Guilt' my mother into letting me get it. It's my money but you don't know my mom >,>

Anyway yeah...

Soo...

Was wondering where I should put these plants in my tank.

This Picture was taken just 2 hours ago...

The top right corner held together by a plastic vented... thing is the Anacharis which is slowly recovering.

The Bottom Left corner is the Java Fern.

Overhanging it all is the Varigated Philodendron Vine.

The light is from bright LED's and also an old lamp off to the right, and about a few hours of morning sun (Not direct, well... sorta).

I got plenty of things to anchor the plants but just was curious if maybe you could tell me some spots you'd think the Anubias, Kyoto, and Wisteria would do best in.

Sorry about the Water Kit... I got attacked by my Penny Pinching Mother and then Tripped up by the Water Test Lady who told me not to worry that the water is fine currently and to wait, and retest in a week.

Wait why am I apologizing... oh right I want to be considered a true Fish Hobbyist haha.

Last edited by DormDrax; 01-04-2011 at 05:56 PM.