Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2011, 11:29 AM   #11 
Biomess

They are both very beautiful fish! I have never bred Bettas before, only Balloon Mollies and Platties,
but it should be an exciting experience to see what type of color variations you will get from them.
I would do it if I were you, you may not find another female with similar markings when you finally decide you cannot wait any longer to breed 'em.
Biomess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:33 PM   #12 
LucyLoofa

I think this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for your little buddy!
That girl is gorgeous, and the chance of getting some little ones with similar coloring is higher than that of just another random marbled hmpk.
The fins aren't that big of a turnoff for me, and some of the fry are bound to have gorgeous fins regardless.
All in all they're the cutest little pair and I think the perk of seeing how cute they are when they're together will be totally worth it.
PLUS she has GORGEOUS eyes! Look at that cobalt blue!
Very pretty!!!
C:
LucyLoofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:06 AM   #13 
Tsuhei

Alright, everyone, you convinced me!

I am currently contacting the seller since the auction has ended, offering a slightly lower price since I've seen her advertised more than three times within the past few months.

Regardless if he rejects my haggling offer, I will still purchase the female at her original price (can't blame a girl for tryin', right? ).

I am going to purchase my setup -
-10 gallon tank with a hood
-adjustable heater
-BBS (I will be making my own hatchery)
-plants (not sure if I'm going to go live...petco plants are atrocious)
-Thermometer
- IAL (already have 20 and 20 more on the way)
- Frozen daphnia and brine shrimp for later
- and of course a container or barrier of somesort to separate the male from the female
- Live food for conditioning or frozen...I am undecided, but know that live food is the best for this. Either way, I want it to be mosquito larvae or bloodworms

I will keep her quarantined for about 1-2 weeks before I begin conditioning them - better safe than sorry.

The first time I bred, I started out with an infusoria culture, but I'm not exactly sure if I want to try that method again since bbs can be fed the entire time until 1-2 months (if I remember correctly). However, I am reluctant to use microworms because of the ventral fin rumor.

I openly allow criticism and suggestions - I would love for Stamps's babies to turn out healthy and beautiful.
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:51 AM   #14 
PeggyJ

What is the microworm/ventral issue????? Now you have me worried because I am using microworms for my fry.
PeggyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #15 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyJ View Post
What is the microworm/ventral issue????? Now you have me worried because I am using microworms for my fry.
There's a rumor that the ventrals won't develop if you use microworms. However, there are people that use it regularly for their breeding processes and have never had any problems. You're fine, I'm just a paranoid person.

And UPDATE: The haggling price has been accepted. HOORAY
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:54 PM   #16 
bettafish15

YAYYY *throws confetti*
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:39 PM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yay!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:43 PM   #18 
Dragonlady

I hope you are able to get a spawn out of that pair. Good luck! They look perfectly matched to each other. Marbles are so much fun.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:24 PM   #19 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyJ View Post
My understanding of this issues and missing ventral fins with microworm feeding is not the microworm itself but the bacteria that is caused/produced from decaying microworms and the fry swimming/staying at the bottom of the tank more in bare bottoms setup and poor cleaning practices...if microworms are fed and you clean/remove the uneaten microworms before decay you shouldn't have missing ventral fin issues-also I read that using air stones at the bottom of the tank to keep any bacteria from forming in high numbers and/or false bottoms can help by keeping the fry off the bottom/floor of the tank
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:29 PM   #20 
PeggyJ

Thanks...my fry do hang out on the bottom.. I am crazy with cleaning though, and my mystery snail and pond snails do a good job of cleaning the bottom of leftovers too. They even eat egg yolk!
PeggyJ is offline   Reply With Quote