Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2011, 12:48 AM   #1 
Kiku

Exclamation Quick! Help! Emergency!

If you recall a few days ago I posted a picture of Kyorbit looking like this:

Well I just added him to his ten gallon tank, two days later I did a 50% water change, and OVERNIGHT he changed into this:

Mind you, this is OVERNIGHT! About 7 hours!! I added the correct amount of water conditioner, I didn't do anything funky, and I JUST did a water change so how can it be fin rot? I'm so terrified and I have no idea how to treat this. He tries to eat his pellets but spits them back out...he'll eat freeze-dried bloodworms. He doesn't move around much and is getting worse by the hour.
Kiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:18 AM   #2 
Omboc

Those appear to be both clamped fins and fin rot.
Omboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:35 AM   #3 
wallywestisthebest333

Is his water warm? That's often a cause of clamped fins.
If the water is under 75 then I'd definitely get a heater ASAP. You'll want a 50 watt adjustable heater (there's a dial you can adjust yourself. Not the tetra "adjustable" heater that "adjust automatically").
I recommend Marineland's Stealth heaters if you can find them. I haven't tried the Stealth Pro yet. I also recommend the Hydor Theo as that comes highly recommended on the forums.

The Topfin adjustable heaters are rumored to be faulty so I'd stay away from them.

If the water is warm then I don't really know what to tell you. :[ It might be a serious illness but I forget what it's called. I think Adastra and Vaygirl might be able to help though.

Good luck with your boy and I hope that he gets to feeling better! </3
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:47 AM   #4 
dr2b

Are his scales raised or is he bloated? I'd start by fasting him and putting some aquarium salt in the tank.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:22 AM   #5 
Kiku

His water is warm and there's a thermometer in the water to always check the heat. It's always at 76 degrees F.His scales aren't raised and he doesn't appear to be bloated...I'm so nervous. I won't be able to get medicine until later today and I'm not even sure what to get him. What could have caused this? Is the water conditioner I'm using a bad brand? it's called "splendid Betta complete water conditioner"
He looks even worse this morning, I feel like I'm going to cry ;_; I don't want him to be in pain! His water is clean and conditioned, there's plenty of good food, there's lighting and warm water...what's gone wrong?
I'll get some aquarium salt, but does anyone know of some specific medicines KNOWN to work for this type of sudden onset problem? I don't want him to get any sicker than he already is
Old 01-05-2011, 02:54 PM   #6 
Kiku

Help! I got home from school and Kyorbit is laying at the bottom of his tank! Is dead?! WHAT DO I DO??
Old 01-05-2011, 02:57 PM   #7 
Kiku

Kyorbit had died.
He was sick only just this morning, and by the time I got home from school he was dead. There was no way I could save him that fast.
R.I.P Kyorbit ;_;
Old 01-05-2011, 03:02 PM   #8 
Adastra

Interesting, so he's fine one day and then he's suddenly clamped, lethargic, and laying on the bottom. Was this fish recently acquired from a pet store or transferred from poor conditions in another container? Often clean water and a large, new environment comes as quite a shock to bettas who have been kept in cramped conditions with poor water quality. It's quite possible that he was barely fighting off a certain ailment in his other container, be it at the pet store or previous housing, and the stress of the transfer was enough to cause his immune system to fail and for him to become ill. Also, cheap "betta" water conditioners often lack the ability to neutralize ammonia that might be in your tap water. In the future, invest a little more money in a quality product like Seachem Prime or Kordon Amquel+. It is a better investment.

I don't think it's a great idea to medicate him now. We do not know the direct cause of his problem, and treating what you don't know with chemicals you do not understand the use of often puts you in a worse position than you started. for now, I would lower the water level so that he does not have to move much to get to the surface. Lay the heater down horizontally on the floor of the tank so that it can still function in shallow water. Make sure the light is off and the area around the tank is dim and avoid sticking your face up next to the tank and pestering him. The most important thing now is for him to de-stress and try to muster enough strength to make a come-back.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #9 
Kiku

Thank you for your help, but it's too late.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:07 PM   #10 
Adastra

Sometimes it is their time to go and nothing can be done about it. So sorry for your loss.

Perhaps you should take this time to research the nitrogen cycle and how to conduct a fishless cycle. It will make the tank a much better environment for your future fish.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote