Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2011, 05:16 PM   #11 
Stardancer

Well, it's true Epsom salt isn't necessarily for general illness, but I've heard it recommended a lot, so I figured it couldn't hurt.

As for the oak leaf, I've seen a number of people here who use it in lieu of IAL.

The tank is 76 degrees F.
Stardancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #12 
Luimeril

whenever any of mine look down, or have ripped fins, i use Aquarium Salt. that's what most people use if they have a sick betta. try getting them off Epsom salt, since it sucks the extra fluid from them, and put them on Aquarium Salt instead.

i hope they get better
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:33 PM   #13 
Creat

Oak leaves are 99% the same as indian almond leaves and epsom salt is usueful for many things regarding such as bloating and dropsy. Aquarium salt is used for open wounds and healing however using aquarium salt with dropsy will kill the fish faster while using epsom is easily removed from a fishes body.. so their good for different things. Epsom salt is good for swim bladder disorder too.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:40 PM   #14 
Stardancer

I added a cabomba plant last night and put Mitsu back in the tank in hopes that she could shelter in it instead of having to be in the QT cup. She did hide in the plant, so that looked good...and then I caught my Blue taking a dive at her. So I popped Blue into the QT cup instead until I can get the right housing for the two of them.

I'm hopeful that with Blue out of the way, Mitsu will relax and heal back up
Old 01-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #15 
Luimeril

really? i didn't know that about aquaruim salt and dropsy. but, it doesn't sound like they've got dropsy. i've never really had to deal with SBD, and never actually understood how to treat it. o.0 when any of my bettas(mainly my VT, Cup) get bloated, i just fast them and they're fine the next day. >.>

aquarium salt is supposed to help de-stress bettas, and i use it often with a sick fish, or if one of my boys or girls has ripped fins. not only does it keep things clean, but it relaxes them(i swear they do seem happier with a bit in their water).

either way, i do hope they get better.

as a side note, if you're low on cash but wanna get decent-sized tanks for them both, most pet stores carry Kritter Keepers, or whatever brand you have, in the rodent section. you can get one that's around 2 gallons or so for about $10 or so. :d
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #16 
Stardancer

She looks better! So much better. Mitsu is swimming normally and playing in the plant just like I hoped. I'm annoyed at myself for not catching Blue earlier. I only actually saw her divebomb once; she must have somehow known better than to attack when I was watching.

So yeah. New home for Blue, coming up ASAP. Till then, the QT cup for her!