What is IAL?
PeggyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:53 AM   #12 
aKu3

Indian almond leaves, I think it makes a hugh difference having some of that
aKu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:12 PM   #13 
1fish2fish

I usually don't float IAL because it's going to sink in 24-48 hours anyways. I use bubble wrap or a plastic lid for the nest site because I don't want to spend extra money on a styrofoam cup when I already have other things available. Bubble wrap (bubble side down) always works for me.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:06 PM   #14 
ryguy886

Update!!! I added a styrofoam cup last night and today the male has a medium sized bubble nest under it. I am going to wait until tomorrow to release the female and hopefully we get some babies.
ryguy886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:20 PM   #15 
ryguy886

So I released the female tonight and she and th emale are doing pretty well. She isn't too interested in breeding though! He is chasing her around the tank and then they stop. Then it happens all over again. Will she eventually accept him?? How long does it usually take to get an embrace? Sorry for all the questions I just want to be prepared to remove her if needed?

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 01-06-2011, 01:34 AM   #16 
MrVampire181

As long as they're not hurting each other just leave em. Actual spawning can take days or (in rarer cases...also from my person experience) weeks.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:16 AM   #17 
ryguy886

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
As long as they're not hurting each other just leave em. Actual spawning can take days or (in rarer cases...also from my person experience) weeks.

Ok, they are not hurting each other at all. The female just doesn't seem to interested in breeding yet
Old 01-06-2011, 12:44 PM   #18 
brandonwlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy886 View Post
Ok, they are not hurting each other at all. The female just doesn't seem to interested in breeding yet
Thats because you have a lot of hiding place for the female to hide from the submissive male. The spawning ritual normally will only starts when a healthy bubble nest is blown by the male, and after chasing and biting, the female will finally submit to the male head down. she no longer run nor fight back, and both will swim under the bubble nest and perform the spawning ritual. a bare tank will be easier and faster to initiate spawning, as the male will be able to locate the female all the time and stimulates the construction of the bubble nest. After releasing the female, the male can also easily find the female and make her submit to him although his methods will be a little brutal and i bet you will not be too happy to find some injuries and torn fins on the female or both, but this way its almost a sure spawn given a healthy and compatible pair. anyway, a bare tank or a planted tank for spawning have their pros and cons and none is better than the other. In a planted tank, the male sometimes cant find the female thus delay the spawning process, however, there will be less injuries and more readiness and peaceful spawning when the female comes out from her hiding place, u just have to wait for the right time. Happy sapwning and good luck!
brandonwlee is offline   Reply With Quote