Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2011, 04:13 PM   #11 
vaygirl

Yeah. I know. I get mad. Lol. It isn't just the gimmick aspect. These are ACTIVE swimmers. I mean people call them hyper. I have one of those cubes downstairs. Yes... poor Tango started life in an unheated 1.5g cube... and there's no ROOM to be hyper in there. It's teeny tiny. Glofish are no different then Zebra Danios and their requirements are the same, which is room to zip around like lunatics. :P
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #12 
Busted

If I remember, GloFish are Zebra Danios that are genetically altered. They have a added fluorescing gene that makes their colors.
Busted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:27 PM   #13 
vaygirl

That's what I meant. Look up any care sheet on Zebra Danios. They won't be listing a 1.5 gallon as a suitable home due to their extremely high activity level and somewhat aggressive nature.

And another thing...

"Keep your new GloFish in a high-tech performance desktop aquarium."

Really? That cube has an air pump driven whisper power filter with a plain ole carbon insert. I bought it for 15 dollars. It's a complete rip off AND a death trap. Meh, I'm just getting all worked up. Lol! I need to step out of the thread. :P
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #14 
Oldfishlady

Buyer beware...its the buyers responsibility to research the needs, but I do agree some of the selling practices used are down right....well....wrong and misleading and the unsuspecting hobbyist that depend on information from what appears to be from educated well known company...some of the information they provide on their web site and catalog I don't agree with either.....

I plan to add a comment myself......however, if you stopped dealing with every company that doesn't meet your standards you wouldn't have any place to shop....so I will continue to buy my dry/hard good from this company as I always have......thus is life.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:29 PM   #15 
Adastra

I understand that, and I don't expect everyone who reads this thread to drop all their orders now and convert to my super cool consumer cult~ hahaha. :) Where you shop and what you buy is your decision. Besides, F&S really offers a selection that is much more ethically oriented than the majority of companies out there--excluding marine specialty and plant specialty stores. They don't have ridiculous betta bowls and whatnot like Petco/smart and Big Al's.

This recent Glo-Fish kit is the only blatantly unethical product I've really seen from them since I've shopped there, which is why I feel like with enough customer outcry they will likely take remove it. It's really too expensive to be popular anyway. The Eclipse kits they used to have were so much better.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:18 AM   #16 
Waterbottle2

I'll definetely write them tommorow
Thanks
Waterbottle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #17 
Busted

Heres the message I got back.

Quote:
Dear Robert,

Thank you for your email.

We appreciate your comments regarding the GloFish® GloKit™ Live Fish & Aquarium Set.

The health and well being of all pets is very important to us. The fish supplied with the GloFish® GloKit™ Live Fish & Aquarium Set, Zebra Danios, are very hardy fish and are conditioned here at our Drs. Foster and Smith Aquaculture Coral and Marine Life Facility. When shipped, they are in top health and can withstand some fluctuations in water chemistry when first introduced. It is very important to follow the explicit directions supplied with each kit, which ensures the fishes safety. The filtration supplied with the kit along with following the directions and performing the proper maintenance provides a proper environment for them to thrive for many years of enjoyment.

Sincerely,

Janis T
Supervisor
Drs. Foster and Smith
Foster and Smith Aquatics
Busted is offline   Reply With Quote