Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2011, 08:55 AM   #1 
Malvolti

Baffling an Intake

My new 10 gallon came with an Aquaclear 5-15. Sadly not adjustable. Being a larger tank with plenty of stock I would like to keep it if possible.

I Baffled the flow easy enough with the water bottle method, my problem now is the intake flow keeps sucking in Betta Fins.

I've turned the filter off for now and am running my trusty cycled 3 gallon filter instead. To baffle I'm going to start by placing some aquarium sponge inside the intake.

I'm wondering what other methods I can try.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #2 
Dragonlady

This may sound crazy. Anyway, nylons or panty hose work very well to decrease the flow of a power filter sort of like a filter sock. Cut the foot out of some panty hose and secure it over the filter intake with a rubber band or knot. No fins will be sucked in the filter that way. The filter sock will need cleaned regularly to keep the water moving.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:05 PM   #3 
Arowan

Or, if your intake has a removable piece to it (mine's a grated bit at the very bottom), you can stick a bit of sponge in it. Sometimes it works so well, I can remove the rest of the baffle completely.
Arowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #4 
Malvolti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arowan View Post
Or, if your intake has a removable piece to it (mine's a grated bit at the very bottom), you can stick a bit of sponge in it. Sometimes it works so well, I can remove the rest of the baffle completely.
That's actually exactly what I was planning. I won't need the filter for about a week since the betta going in there is in quarantine. I'm just hoping for a list of suggestions incase something doesn't work.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote