Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2011, 04:55 AM   #1 
Duncan13

Dwarf Pufferfish

So I want to get a dwarf puffer fish, and I'm buying all the materials and stuff. But I have two questions, how many is the best amount of puffers to get, and, where can I get snails small enough for them to eat? Thanks a lot!
Duncan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:50 AM   #2 
vaygirl

From what I've read, it's based on tank size. You need 5 gallons per puffer. Unfortunately, I've also read that they need to be totally alone. So just know up front that there is conflicting info out there. If you do more then one, get LOTS of plants and watch them!

I got my snails from an aquatic plant store. They sent them for free and I just paid shipping. I established them in all my other tanks so they had a chance to breed without being annihilated by Huey. They should be soft shelled snails like pond or nerite snails. You can also find them on aquabid. For a daily diet, I (and most DP owners) use frozen bloodworms. you just can't breed enough snails in closed environments to sate these guys. Lol!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:03 AM   #3 
Duncan13

Thanks for the info, it really helped. Can I get 3 puffers in a well planted 10 gallon tank? 10 gallons is the largest I can have for right now. Also, do fake plants work? I have lots of frozen blood worms. I think I can get them by mid February. It is also true that they are 100% freshwater right?
Old 01-07-2011, 11:58 AM   #4 
shinybetta

They are 100% freshwater.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #5 
vaygirl

If you only have 10 gallons then just get two. If you're keeping them together then 1 per 5 gallons is nonnegotiable. You do NOT wanna see a fight break out or stress them out unnecessarily. They'll kill each other.

Silk plants are fine. As long as they can hide, they don't care.

My other suggestion to you is cycle the tank ahead of time. They are very messy eaters. Mine spits bloodworm skins out all the time. So, once your tank is cycled, 50% weekly water changes are recommended too.

Lastly, cover your filter intake with a mesh bag, or stockings if they are tiny and never net them and expose them to air. They could puff and if they fill with air it could kill them. Always move them in water.

Here's the site I used when researching Huey
http://www.dwarfpuffers.com/
Old 01-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #6 
Duncan13

Thanks for all the helpful info. I didn't know that exposing them to air can cause them puff up. :O. So when moving them, I will like scoop them up in a plastic cup.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #7 
vaygirl

It won't cause them to puff but if they happen to puff, sucking air in to do so would kill them. I've never actually SEEN mine puff up and I've never moved him because he's extremely skittish and I think I'd have a marathon of a fight getting him in a cup. Lol! I do everything with him in-tank because of it. :)
Old 01-08-2011, 03:33 AM   #8 
Duncan13

Haha. So you never do any 100% water changes?
Old 01-08-2011, 07:32 AM   #9 
Astro277

These guys are very VERY fragile fish. Theres many types of medications that normel fish can have that these guys cant and will kill them within a day. So i suggest you read up as much information as you can before going out and getting some.

Here is a awesome place to find information on the lil guys
http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/
Astro277 is offline   Reply With Quote