Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2010, 07:21 PM   #11 
elijahfeathers

Yeah I tried talking to them, but I'm younger than they are and money's tight and blah blah blah. The petco lady said so and she's an expert, so too bad. I even offered to buy them another tank-- and they got excited because they could 'get baby fish and sell them'. So I guess that idea just went out the window. :/ *sighs again*
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:18 PM   #12 
Nutt007

Wow. They want to breed when they don't even have a proper tank? *vomits*
Nutt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:19 PM   #13 
Aluyasha

We all know someone like that. Getting animals that they do not bother to learn anything about. Saying they cannot afford much which begs the question, why are you getting pets you cannot afford?
My aunt in like that. She has a 5 gallon with no heater in a freezing house and is dead set on getting 3-4 pond goldfish to put in it. She claims she is 'saving' their lives because they are in the feeder section. Ugh!
Getting a pet from a bad situation and putting it in another bad situation is not saving it.
I know how you feel. It is like watching a car accident in slow motion. You know how it could be avoided but you are not the one in control...such a hopeless feeling, knowing animals will suffer just because people are too stupid to listen to others.

I am almost tempted to put a fake petstore name tag on and say 'now will you listen to me?'
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:22 PM   #14 
Luimeril

link them to this site. i'm sure there's plenty of people older than them on here, who can teach them proper betta care. and, they won't make money breeding bettas. >.>; especially not CTs.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:10 AM   #15 
Ethan

I did this once but I figured out my bettas got stressed out I never did that again maybe small tanks but keeping 2 bettas with a divider is no better than without it.
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:04 AM   #16 
fflores

I guess things are different around here, i have yet to go to a PetCo or a Petsmart in which i ran into a person who would say "well i an expert"... infact, i've found the opposite, more times then not they will suggest searching online for forums for info. To my surprise, a couple of the PetCo's had clear signage that had reasonable betta facts and reasonable betta care info... not only in printed out sheets that were posted, but also in display pieces that were painted on the wall with info on all their other fishes.

I did run into one smaller fish store that was run by someone that came off as arrogant and there was nothing i could tell him that he didn't already know and made it seam like how dare i need to remind him about it. They lost my business
fflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #17 
fishman12

That sucks. Tell them about this website.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #18 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Elijahfeathers:

Before I knew better, I believed the 'retail hype' about bettas being indestrutable fish who could live practically in raw sewerage in a thimble-ful of water.

Once I had aquired a betta, however, I wanted it to live the best life possible. That's when I set out to learn as much as possible about them, and I learned the REAL (not retail) truth. I was on my way to becoming a good betta owner.

I am still learning about bettas, their weird little quirks and their stunning beauty. People collect them and breed them;
just like everything else in this world, some do it for love and some do it for money.

Bettas, I believe, are not decorations. Bettas are extremely intellegent, reactive beings. As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't want them to have less than a heated, five gallon tank.They deserve to have a safe, interesting enviroment and a happy, long life. They are not going to have that in a tiny square of unheated water.

As far as breeding goes, I wouldn't risk damage to my female. She's not a show quality fish... so why submit her to that experiance? She doesn't need to be sacrificed in pain on the alter of my curiosity. If she was show quality, I still would consider the consquences very carefully. If I decided to go forward, I would get real expert advice on what to do.

Very, very few people who work in pet stores are even close to 'expert'. These stores pay their workers very little. No one's going to be 'expert' at $6.00 an hour (after taxes).

So EF, I wish you luck in turning your relatives around on Betta ownership. At least you are available to intercede on the fishes' behalf, if things go poorly... better still if you can educate them and they become good Betta owners too!

Cheryl
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:49 AM   #19 
sjones

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutt007 View Post
Wow. They want to breed when they don't even have a proper tank? *vomits*
thumbs up!

I can't begin to share the horror I feel when at the "pet store" when I see "parents" dragging their spawn around around picking out a new little mermaid 1/2 gallon tank for their brand new horrified betta fish whose life expectancy is two days..
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:01 AM   #20 
LittleBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones View Post
thumbs up!

I can't begin to share the horror I feel when at the "pet store" when I see "parents" dragging their spawn around around picking out a new little mermaid 1/2 gallon tank for their brand new horrified betta fish whose life expectancy is two days..
I just came from the local fish store (which is actually very well run with knowledgeable staff), and there was a family that purchased one of those awful gallon tanks with a divider.

I just can't see how anyone can look at that kind of tank and think that it is an enriching environment for any animal. No wonder so many fish develop neurotic problems like tail-biting, when kept in such a cramped space.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote