Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #1 
purplemuffin

question about water temps!

I know this is a forum where people are usually trying to keep their water WARMER but does anyone have experience keeping it colder? How close does water tend to stay compared to average room temp?

I ask because I have been looking into getting an axolotl:

I know, don't they just look like pokemon? In Japan they were called 'wooper loopers' and actually are where woopers came from. Just a random fact!

Axolotls need a temp between 57-72 degrees('best' is like 60-64)...any higher than 72 will kill an axolotl! Eek!

My family generally keeps the temp at 70, and down to 68 at night, but of course that still seems too close to the danger zone for me! Most care sheets even suggest not to have any lights near the poor things or they will overheat!

They are decently hard animals to care for, especially due to the temps(and aquarium chillers being so expensive!) but I have been researching them over the past few years... Still interested in having one, despite the struggles I know I'll face!

I mainly want to know, how difficult will it be to keep the tank cool? I am willing to wait if necessary, until I have my own house where I can keep a room a little bit chillier for the guy/gal!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:36 PM   #2 
purplemuffin

Ok, so from what I learned on my own... Generally the evaporation of water will help keep the water cool, so filters and bubblers and things help with the heat distribution and keeping the water temp down 2-3 degrees..

My house is usually at 70, which means with that I could keep it down to like 68-67... It drops to 68 at night... If I also added fans to help keep it cool, how low do you think I could keep the temps?
Old 01-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #3 
purplemuffin

So, nevermind! I've found a place where people have described how to keep it cool

I will have a tank with a screen lid rather than a hood. On that screen I will have two computer fans, one blowing in, one blowing out. This helps speed up the cooling and can cool the water up to 10 degrees! I will have an airstone and a filter to help transfer the cool water around the tank and get the hot water out faster.

My axie's staple diet will be earthworms :) Bloodworms and other things like brineshrimp will also be good treats!

Right now I'm just not sure what color axie to get! :) There are so many..gold albinos, leucistic, olive... So cool! And there are some that can glow in blacklight! :o The children of genetically modified axies, they are the same as a regular axolotl, and have no health risks due to the change..They just glow green under black light :D
Old 01-09-2011, 06:19 PM   #4 
vaygirl

How cute! If I had room I'd have one.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote