Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2011, 07:15 PM   #1 
monroe0704

Question Breeding Mentor??

I do as much research as I can... and I've bred other varieties of fish, including some saltwater, but I still can't seem to determine betta quality that well... I know a few things to look for, but then I'll miss flaws or pick out a less ideal fish. I was wondering if any of the experienced breeders would be willing to more or less mentor me as I go along breeding?? For example, I'd send over pics of all my fry and you help me determine quality, or you quiz me on fish pics and let me know the good and bad of it... We can work out some deal for compensation :)

If not, that's A-ok! I'll get there :) My fear is culling off quality fry or something like that!
monroe0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:49 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

I'm by no means an experienced breeder but if you have any questions feel free to PM me and I'll give you an answer to the best of my ability or direct you to someone who I think can answer your question better. I'm sure many of the other breeders would be happy to answer your questions also.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:37 PM   #3 
bettalover2033

Well im kind of an experienced breeder. But i do know quality when i see it:) i am on my 14 Successful breeding so far. Im sure thats probably still in the beginning compared to other people but its still experienced:)..So Anything at the moment you need help with?:)
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:03 PM   #4 
monroe0704

I've got all my breeding stock already. Just waiting to breed then pick the best from the fry to continue my lines!
Old 01-09-2011, 09:09 PM   #5 
bettalover2033

Cool what are some pictures of the fish that you are thinking of breeding?
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:45 PM   #6 
monroe0704

I have decided to follow the line breeding method: http://www.bettysplendens.com/articl...?articleid=896

Fancy HMPK lines:
Yellow Fancy HMPK x sibling sister (don't have pic of her)

Fancy HMPK x sibling sister (also don't have her pic yet)

I'm planning on working a few different lines with the next grouping. I'd like Fancy DTs and Fancy HMs... Both with and without Dragon scaling. All the girls carry DT geno:

Fancy Dragon HMDT x Fancy Dragon HM

Fancy HMDT x Blue Marble HM (avatar pic)

Turquoise Marble HMDT x Turquoise Marble HM

Lots of bettas!! But I have the space and time ;)
Old 01-09-2011, 10:25 PM   #7 
Dragonlady

I am a new breeder also, but I will answer any questions I can if you ask.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:11 PM   #8 
indjo
TFK Moderator

We are all here to share our limited knowledge as best as possible and develop this hobby. I'm no expert but I'll do my best to help in anyway I can.

If you have doubts on quality, you can use this as a guide http://www.bettysplendens.com/articl...=New%20quality
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:50 AM   #9 
monroe0704

WOW! I've been reading through the IBC standards and they're intense! There is definitely a big difference between a very good looking betta and a show quality one... at least a couple of the males I have show potential! Although I'm still a little hazy on what dragons are classified as... The marble dragon male is a fairly ideal DT, but I don't know if he'd be showing under marble class or one of the metallic classes. Glad I joined!!
Old 01-15-2011, 08:17 PM   #10 
Raikonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by monroe0704 View Post
WOW! I've been reading through the IBC standards and they're intense! There is definitely a big difference between a very good looking betta and a show quality one... at least a couple of the males I have show potential! Although I'm still a little hazy on what dragons are classified as... The marble dragon male is a fairly ideal DT, but I don't know if he'd be showing under marble class or one of the metallic classes. Glad I joined!!
I'm happy to see that someone else knows about the IBC. Where do you find the IBC standards, though? I can't seem to find them anywhere
Raikonan is offline   Reply With Quote