Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2011, 05:35 PM   #11 
effy

would be good to see a picture of the lit up ovaries described hint hint :) v handy thread
effy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:47 PM   #12 
bettalover2033

i agree its very true and should be noted for everyone to see.

But isn't it also true that bettas can change gender if not sexed between the months of 5-10 months old?
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:56 AM   #13 
1fish2fish

They can't "change" gender. A female will not suddenly lose ovaries and become a male. Some fry are just slow developers and may not show male/female tendencies until later in development.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #14 
Dragonlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
They can't "change" gender. A female will not suddenly lose ovaries and become a male. Some fry are just slow developers and may not show male/female tendencies until later in development.

1fish2fish,

I respectfully disagree.

Given the right conditions, female bettas are capable of changing to male. Of course it does not happen suddenly. According to my source, if a female has spawned, she will always be female. Of course there are some males that are just slow developers, or maybe not? Anyway, I personally have seen cellophane fish with very visible ovaries that matured later into fully functioning males. I thought I was going crazy until I asked someone at a show who would know more than me about bettas changing sex. Many types of fish are capable of changing their gender. It is not unusual at all for fish. For example clownfish can change from male to female and Centropyge angelfish can change from female to male. Anyway, yes female bettas may be capable of changing to male just like many other types fish.

Last edited by Dragonlady; 01-10-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:10 PM   #15 
Ethan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post

I agree why would a male turn into a female? Its like pulling off the egg spot of a female betta and saying its now a male! I only say this because why would there be male and female for fish every kind of fish if they weren't different? They can't fertile each other and eggs come out of both. only the female releases the eggs not the males.
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:07 PM   #16 
Dragonlady

As far as I kinow, male bettas cannot change into females.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:26 PM   #17 
soccerdog693

My male ct (see avatar) has the egg spot and yellowish patch on his belly.

He can't be a female right? because of his fins?
soccerdog693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #18 
MrVampire181

IMO they can't change gender. I have a male that even the experts said was female and guess what...he's a daddy! I think these cases are just mistaken identity of the fish...still interesting though.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:34 PM   #19 
Dragonlady

Although it has not been officially documented with bettas, many types of fish in general are capable of changing their gender naturally. This is a proven fact. I'm not really 100% sure if bettas can change their gender, but Leo Buss told me that he thinks they can change from female to male. I respect his opinion.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:22 PM   #20 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
I agree why would a male turn into a female? Its like pulling off the egg spot of a female betta and saying its now a male! I only say this because why would there be male and female for fish every kind of fish if they weren't different? They can't fertile each other and eggs come out of both. only the female releases the eggs not the males.
Actually i would have to disagree because lets say in a situation that they were about to go extincted. What would they have to do? Adapt and this is when evolution occurs. well lets say that their are too many females and the females copy the males? They would then turn into males.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote