Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2011, 11:29 PM   #1 
RainbowIsland

Achernar! (Photo Coming Soon)

Achernar's former owner moved away to another state so I was asked to take him and two other fish in. I took the offer but didn't expect to find them in a filthy tank that had a perfectly fine filter and heater not in use. Their fins looked as if they had been eating each other so I quickly brought them home and placed them in a large tank. I gave them some nice betta food and the frenzy had begun. They attacked that food as if they hadn't ate in months. A day later I join this site for information on how to bring them back to health but sadly that day Achernar's friends had passed away at 10:30 pm. Archernar is now alone in a tank being cared for and given the proper medicine to make him healthy once more.
RainbowIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:21 PM   #2 
RainbowIsland

I apologize for the bad quality of the picture. Achernar was moving around too much and I was taking pictures from my Ipod touch and for some reason it turns out fuzzy looking when I upload it. The fuzz isn't my tank it's my Ipod touch.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:35 PM   #3 
Sweeda88

Aww, good for you for taking him in. I hope he recovers completely and gets to live a happy new life.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #4 
RainbowIsland

Achernar's species was unknown to me until recently. I did some research on the different species of betta fish. He didn't look like a Crowntail, Delta, Double Tail, Halfmoon, Halfmoon Plakat, or a Veiltail. There's only one that he could be that I've looked up. Achernar has to be a Plakat. He has the looks of one. What do you think? In this picture he has his fins down but if he stretches them out he looks exactly like a Plakat. I'll see if I can get a photo of him while he has his fins stretched out.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #5 
Sweeda88

He is not a Plakat, his fins are just terribly mutilated. His body and the shape of the remaining fins suggest he's a Veil Tail.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:20 PM   #6 
sjones

to me he looks like a veiltail that has had his fins chewed off :( poor guy
I hope he gets better soon...good job taking him in!
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:31 PM   #7 
RainbowIsland

Now that you've pointed it out he does look like a Veiltail whose fins have been torn so badly that you can't tell. This makes me proud that I've taken him in so I can give him a chance to live a happy life. Achernar has been very active since he's been moved to a clean tank with food and warmth. I don't have a heater due to the fact that my room temperature gets very hot and it changes the temperature of the water to where it needs to be. I have a way of adjusting my room tempterature so I don't think there's any need for a heater. I do have a filter though so I can keep up on his cleaning. If I keep up the great work we'll see his fins at the fullest beauty. I'll try to find a better camera though.