Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2011, 02:04 AM   #1 
addie

I need step by step instruction :/

I didn't see it covered on the sticky, but would somebody be able to give me a step by step instruction of how to do a water change? I want to make sure I am doing it right. The sticky says that I don't need to do a 100% water change, but I have a small 1 gallon tank right now until I can afford to get a bigger one. I just transferred him into this tank today, and I use spring water. What do I do when I make 50% water changes? What do I do when I make 100% water changes? How often do I need to do it? Finally, when I get a bigger tank, I eventually want to switch to tap water.. (although with the price of spring water, I may be doing that sooner than later) How do I transition my fish from spring to tap when doing a water change? Thanks in advance for the advice!!! :)

This is the details of my tank btw...
I have a silk plant, a decorative sign, and gravel in the tank, it's a plastic tank, and I have a thermometer. I live in the midwest US so it is cold outside, but my room is upstairs and the heaters keep my room about 75-80 degrees. The tank has a thermometer and it's been staying at 75 degrees. I don't have a light yet, but I keep my hall light on.
addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:05 PM   #2 
vaygirl

Here's a wonderful tutorial thread that our member, Neelie, made on water changes...
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=56643
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #3 
Malvolti

That thread should get a sticky, it really is a good walkthrough.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #4 
bettafish15

When you switch to tapwater, remember that you'll have to use water conditioner :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #5 
Busted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvolti View Post
That thread should get a sticky, it really is a good walkthrough.
Agreed, it needs to be stickied!!
Busted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:53 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

You need to be using dechlorinater with both the tap water and bottled water-some bottled water is just filtered tap water and it still can contain the additives to make it safe to drink

To switch over-use 50/50 tap/bottled along with the dechlorinater-on your next 50% water changes use 100% dechlorinated tap-on the next 100% water change use 100% dechlorinated tap water

On 1gal unfiltered tanks I recommend-1-50% and 1-100% weekly water changes to maintain water quality

On the 50% water change use a clean plastic up and dip out half the water and replace with like temp dechlorinated water

On the 100%-net the fish and place in a small container with some tank water-pour out the tank water-rinse with warm tap water-fill with like temp dechlorinated water
Pour half the water out of the small container with the Betta and fill with some of the fresh new tank water over 5 minutes-repeat....then net the Betta and place in the tank and top off with fresh dechlorinated water of like temp

Important to monitor water temp and try and keep it within a few degrees between new and old water to prevent temp related issues and to use dechlorinator with any water added to the fish.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:29 AM   #7 
addie

Thank you so much everyone!!! This helped tremendously!! My fish has been very happy. He makes daily bubble nests and is swimming around a lot! :)
addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:49 PM   #8 
Neelie

^^ thanks for the recommending on
im glad to hear your fish is well!
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote