Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2011, 05:51 PM   #11 
jschristian44

2.5 gallons seems to be the ticket for bettas. anything less will have them cramped. my betta really liked his 10 gallon tank.
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:31 PM   #12 
Crazykat

I use a Tetra HT10, which is a pre-set heater. It costs $8.80 on Amazon and seems to keep my tank (both a 2.5 gallon and a 10 gallon) at a steady 77. This heater has had mixed reviews, but I like it because it's cheap and does the job.

The filters that come in tank kits should work well, as they are designed for the tank you buy them with. I haven't seen any kits with heaters but I am certainly no expert.

The problem with mixing and matching with fish in a (relatively) small tank is that each kind of fish has a certain number of fish that should be in a shoal. Because tetras and glofish (which are a kind of danio) are shoaling fish, they each like to have five of their own kind to be comfortable.

However, in an 8 gallon, you could have a male betta and 5 tetras (you might try glowlight tetras). Or a female betta with 5 tetras.
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:07 PM   #13 
soccerdog693

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazykat View Post
I use a Tetra HT10, which is a pre-set heater. It costs $8.80 on Amazon and seems to keep my tank (both a 2.5 gallon and a 10 gallon) at a steady 77. This heater has had mixed reviews, but I like it because it's cheap and does the job.
I also have this heater, and if you follow the directions it's an excellent heater for small tanks.
soccerdog693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:34 AM   #14 
Kyi

If I purchase multiple 'shoaling' fish, do they need to be the same kind or can I mix and match? Yes, what I will end up doing is probably just getting 1 betta and a few other fish, possibly another fish that is comfortable being the only one of its kind. What about shrimp or catfish or a snail? Or one of those bottom feeder types
Kyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:50 PM   #15 
Crazykat

Ideally, it's best to get shoaling fish of the same kind, but I have heard that if you get different types of shoaling fish that are all about the same size that they will swim together. I'm not sure if this is true or not.

You could probably throw in two or three shrimp with whatever fish you choose. They clean up the bottom and have very little impact on the bioload. Snails make a lot of waste and breed like rabbits. The plecos (sucker fish) get too big for your tank, and cory catfish are shoaling fish, so you would have to get four of them, which would mean you couldn't put in any other bright fish. So, I would recommend a betta, some shrimp, and some tetras. I would suggest cherry shrimp or ghost shrimp(ghost shrimp are much cheaper: $.50 compared to $1.50). There is a chance that your betta will eat the shrimp, so you might want to go with the cheaper one until you see if your betta is okay with shrimp.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:51 PM   #16 
Kyi

Awesome, thank you Crazykat for answering my questions, you've been a great help. I'm snowed in right now (or basically too scared to attempt driving yet) but once this snow melts, I'm heading to the pet store! I'll take some pics once I get it set up. I'm a little scared I'm going to get obsessed with this lol, but I think it'll be fun and relaxing.

Any suggestions on things to put in the tank? Specific types of gravel or plants to addl? Do I need to get different types of food for all these different fish? Do I need other liquids or water balancing/conditioning stuff?

Sorry, I just don't want to make multiple store trips or wait extra long for online items to ship.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:52 PM   #17 
Alex09

In all honestly, I would NOT add any other fish in a tank less than 10 gallons. In a tank less than 10 gal you can try shrimp or snails. There are no fish compatible with bettas that are comfortable on their own. Cory cats for example need to be kept in groups of at least 3. Tetras need to be kept in groups of at least 7-8 (of the same species) etc. A betta is much more likely to be violent to tankmates in a small tank as the other fish will be constantly "in his face" and he wont be able to hide. Not to mention that a small environment will also stress your other fish. Tetras for example can nip and mangle your bettas fins.

In the fishkeeping hobby, even a 10 gal is considered pretty small. Anything less is suitable only for bettas, or perhaps guppies/platies.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:18 AM   #18 
Kyi

What if I just skipped the betta altogether and just get some of the other tropical fish? I'd like to have at least a few fish, not just one lonely betta floating around. Or just have one female betta with a few other non aggressive types?
Old 01-13-2011, 02:28 PM   #19 
Crazykat

I was going by AqAdvisor for the tetras, which says 5 minimum. I wouldn't put guppies in there. I think you want 14 gallons and up for them because they need a lot of space to dart around.

If you got 4 platies, your tank would be slightly overstocked, but if you were religious about water changes, that might be okay. Platies are bright and come in different colors.

I know I keep saying this, but if you just bumped it up two gallons and got a ten the 4 platies wouldn't be a problem and you could put 7 tetras in with a betta. Here's an example of a cheaper 10 gallon. In fact, Petco is having a $1 per gallon sale until the 15th, so you could get a ten dollar tank and buy your filter seperately. Anywho, this still illustrates the point that bigger doesn't mean more expensive.
http://www.geekbro.com/index.cfm/p/v/826472?source=GoogleBase

One last thing, just because female bettas are able to exist in groups of their own type, it doesn't mean they are non-aggressive. You want to watch just as closely for aggressive behaviour from a female betta if you get one.
P.S. I apologize if there are some errors or confusion in this post. I currently have the mother of all headaches.