Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #11 
Oldfishlady

Since I don't use antibiotic anymore (due to harshness to both the fish and environment)...I can't say much about their use, however, once you start them you need to complete the course so not to cause resistant issues

I would monitor the ammonia as you are doing and make water changes as needed based on the results and just use that medication as directed on the label and if it is ineffective once the course is completed then I would start the Epsom salt treatment at that point

Its always best to QT with any type of treatment you use especially in cycled tanks and with live plants as well as for observation purposes....antibiotics can't tell the difference between the good and bad pathogens and kills them all and some live plants can be sensitive to some medications and sodium chloride (aquarium salt)-low does of Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) are usually tolerated/used as food by live plants but high doses needed for treatment can sometimes be harmful.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:36 PM   #12 
bettababe321

Thanks again, I don't like antibiotics either but I had them on hand and I panicked Could use emsom salt in a bath? and just let him soak for a bit at 2tsp/ gallon and then return him to his tank?
bettababe321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #13 
Oldfishlady

I am unsure of the interaction between the antibiotic and Epsom salt even with short term bath...so I can't personally recommend it....sorry.....
Old 01-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #14 
bettababe321

OK thank you anyway for all your help, I'll give it another 3 days, then start with the epsom salt if no improvement. Thanks again!!
Old 01-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #15 
bettababe321

Ok I did some more research and now I feel really stupid, the active ingredient in lifeguard tablets is 1-chloro-2,2,5,5-tetramethyl-4-imidazolidinone, which is NOT an antibiotic but is being described as a disinfectant. I couldn't find any where if its safe to use with epsom salts though. So I'm wondering now if I should just do a rather large water change and start the epsom salt dosage, or just finish the lifeguard treatment.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:02 PM   #16 
bettababe321

Update: Kokomo still seems alert and hungry. I decided to finish the life guard treatment and then start adding Epsom salt with his water changes. He swims around the breeder box a lot, just has trouble getting off the ground. He is still not bloated at all but his fins are clamped. What is you opinion on using bettafix or melafix in conjunction with the Epsom salt? Thanks again everyone for the advice!
Old 01-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #17 
Oldfishlady

Personally I don't use any of those products-I have always had good results with just fresh, dechlorinated water from water changes.... along with either Epsom salt or aquarium salt and tannins as needed...depending on what is wrong with the Betta....creating the proper environment and meeting nutritional needs.....

I don't know how these products interact with each other-when in doubt...don't do it....with either of those product Bettafix and melafix it is important to allow good ventilation for the labyrinth organ...lots of folks use it with good results-I personally don't by choice...
Old 01-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #18 
bettababe321

Ok just thought I'd check. All my tanks are filtered, heated and I test my water daily, so as far as maintaining a proper environment I don't know where I went wrong. Since I plan on leaving him in his 5 gallon, do you recommend doing daily water changes and adding Epsom salt and tannins with each water change? or treating the whole tank once and maintaining my normal water change schedule of once a week (or sooner if there are any issues with water quality)?
Old 01-11-2011, 05:38 PM   #19 
Oldfishlady

Treatments are best done in small QT containers that can be floated in the heated tank to maintain water temp...Qt makes observation, water changes and treatment easier...you have more control which is important with any treatment you use.

What are your water prams numbers by the way...for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH
Old 01-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #20 
bettababe321

Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all at 0, pH is about 7.2. I would like to move him to a QT tank, but I am a college student and am heading home to see my family this weekend. I'll be gone for 3 days and I don't trust my roommates to do the required daily water changes in a 1 gallon tank. So far even with the lifeguard treatment the 5 gallon has been pretty stable and even if it is "uncycled" due to the lifeguard the ammonia will be less in it than in a one gallon after 3 days. I also had trouble keeping the 1 gallon warm enough as it is too big to float in the 5 gallon hex tank. The breeder box allows for easy observation but I agree about treatment being easier to control in a smaller environment, I'm just not sure how to make it work. Again your suggestions are greatly appreciated, thank you.