Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2011, 04:21 PM   #1 
MaryLou

Vinnie stays at bottom of bowl

I have a betta that is over 2 years and is staying on the bottom of the bowl on his side. He occasionally swims to the top but quickly sinks to the bottom again. He is not eating and his color does not look good.
I have always kept him in the same bowl, changing 100% every week. I feed him pellets but he is not interested in the food at all. I do not have a heater for his bowl and although it is winter and the house is a little colder he has lived through a winter before.
I think he is dying and I don't know what to do for him. I work for a Hospice and know how to help people but feel so helpless with this little guy. Any suggestions?
MaryLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum Marylou...sorry your Betta is not well....a few questions

How big is the container, filtration, live plants, additives used and water temp

You change his water 100% weekly and have had him for 2 years and he has been in good health and has tolerated cooler water.

As Betta get older they tend to be less tolerant to cooler temps and will often become lethargic and stop eating-I would recommend that you check the water temp as see what it is at and if lower than 76F-I would get a heater to keep the water temp stable in the 76-80F area-also I would do some back to back 50% water changes for several days and see if that will perk him up along with the water temp.

Keep us posted
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:12 PM   #3 
MaryLou

His bowl is 1 gallon and he has colored glass stones on the bottom. 1 plastic plant but I have removed that so that he could have more room when he goes to the top for air. There is no filtration and the water temp is 70 degrees. I do not use any additive. I do not have a heater but can raise the water temperature by putting the bowl in front of an electric heater. I can also wrap his bowl in a blanket to help maintain that temp until I get a heater tomorrow.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #4 
Sweeda88

In a 1 gallon, you need to do a 100% water change every other day. Once a week is not enough.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:43 PM   #5 
MaryLou

Thank you all for your help and suggestions but, Vinnie has just died.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:54 PM   #6 
Sweeda88

I'm so sorry. =( But if you do decide to get another Betta, make sure to take what we've said into account.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry about Vinnie.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:30 PM   #8 
Irish Dancing Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryLou View Post
Thank you all for your help and suggestions but, Vinnie has just died.
My fish had the same symptoms. (but i had a bubbler and 77 degree water) he died today, it must be some kind of sickness.
Irish Dancing Man is offline   Reply With Quote