Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #11 
Luimeril

poor Quasi!

tannins are, in my words, what turns the water dark when you put Indian Almond Leaves in the water. xD may or may not be true, but that's what i THINK they are. >.> IAL helps with fin growth, too. :3 i use it when Cup gets another split, or when Dante chews his fins.

i'm sure he'll be fine with a good diet, warm water, salt and IAL/Betta Spa, and a little extra pampering. :3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:41 PM   #12 
HayrideHaunter

he looks pretty rough, poor guy, but it sounds like his owner loves him tons and is taking wonderful care of him =D hope get heals quick!
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:42 PM   #13 
bettafish15

You can fix the filter by putting an aquarium sponge inside the intake. You just turn the filter off, normally you can just pull the intake tube off, and stick a sponge way in there, right against the intake openings. Or put a piece of pantyhose around the intake, and tie it with thread. :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #14 
Omega3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
poor Quasi!

tannins are, in my words, what turns the water dark when you put Indian Almond Leaves in the water. xD may or may not be true, but that's what i THINK they are. >.> IAL helps with fin growth, too. :3 i use it when Cup gets another split, or when Dante chews his fins.

i'm sure he'll be fine with a good diet, warm water, salt and IAL/Betta Spa, and a little extra pampering. :3
OK, so where do I get it and how much do I use?

I do love this fish!

BettaFish 15, THANK YOU!! I will do that!
Omega3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:51 PM   #15 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega3 View Post
BettaFish 15, THANK YOU!! I will do that!
Your welcome! My bettas fins recently got a little bit shredded from my filter intake, so it's nice to help someone in the same boat :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #16 
Luimeril

i'm not entirly sure. o.0 i got my IAL from a friend who gave me like.... 20 leaves. i just plop the leaf in the tank, and it does it's leaf-stuff. for Betta Spa, i don't know. i never used it before.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:56 PM   #17 
demonr6

Poor little guy. I hope he gets better. Do you have one of those leaves that you attach to the tank so they can rest on it? Hope he gets better.
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:04 PM   #18 
Omega3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
i'm not entirly sure. o.0 i got my IAL from a friend who gave me like.... 20 leaves. i just plop the leaf in the tank, and it does it's leaf-stuff. for Betta Spa, i don't know. i never used it before.
Ha! It's magic! OK, I think I'll get some decaf green tea then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonr6 View Post
Poor little guy. I hope he gets better. Do you have one of those leaves that you attach to the tank so they can rest on it? Hope he gets better.
No, but that's a good idea for later! Right now, he's in VERY shallow water in a cup. He'll be there for 10 days with 100% water changes, but I'm sure he'll appreciate an accessible rest close to the surface of his tank.

Thank you, everyone!!!!
Omega3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #19 
ANHEL123

I just got IAL. I saw someone recommended the phone # where to order them. It really inexpensive and they delivered vary fast. # 515 283 0300 Mike
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:51 PM   #20 
Oldfishlady

I use duct tape to attach the small QT container to the side of the heated tank-so it doesn't sink or get bounced around by the filter

With daily 100% water changes in the QT container you should not have build up of ammonia-provide that you remove any uneaten food

The reason you want to keep the water temp in the lower range of normal is due to bacterial production-warmer water the bacteria reproduce faster and with a compromised fish and warmer water the normal bacteria that is always in the water can infect the fish...often you will see secondary infection with open wounds like columnaris...be careful with too high water temps.....

Tannins can be helpful in several ways-darker water helps with stress, antibacterial/fungal properties, soothing and promotes healing

Decaf green tea bags-1tea bag per 1gal of water-steep naturally...do not boil the tea bags or any tannins added for use with treatments-too hot water can kill the antibacterial/fungal properties

Often with badly damaged fins they will never look the same or return to their full glory...especially with ray involvement...

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 01-12-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote