Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2011, 05:34 AM   #1 
Tsuhei

Gold DTPK I just bought from Aquabid..

Somnuk9999 to be exact. Don't mind his eyes...I understand that he has popeye. He came like that. -_- He also came with a wound on his side that I assumed to be a damaged scale. Unfortunately, the wound grew in size from only one scale in size to about 2 scales by 2-3 (2x2.5) scales in size now.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5-3 Gallons (temporary/crappy critter keeper...)
What temperature is your tank? 80-81F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Products (pellets and bloodworms)
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets a day... 2 bloodworms every other day with 3 pellets... fast 1 day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? daily for medical treatment
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqueon Ammonia Neutralizer and Kordon Fish Protect

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.8
Hardness: 150 (hard)
Alkalinity: 120 (ideal)

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Scale wound has become significantly larger regardless of water changes. In fact, the wound appears to have a bit of flesh jutting out from underneath the said scales like a pimple.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Become more skittish and paces the back wall of the tank 24/7. I have never seen him calm down...even pulled an all-nighter to see if he would stop.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Since I got him on the 29th of December. He's been getting progressively worse apparently.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? 100% water changes with aquarium salt (1 tsp/gallon...one of his eyes that had popeye has gone down. The other is being more stubborn...now his wound is getting worse).
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Seeing how he came in such a poor condition, I assume that he probably has.
How old is your fish (approximately)? 4 months

Pictures (link included in case it won't load):

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/4175/1000523my.jpg

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6480/1000521ci.jpg

Here is what he looked like before:

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/5310/1000457s.jpg

More pictures in this thread: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=58478
Obviously, the scale/wound is much larger. What is the diagnosis?
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:24 PM   #2 
Velio

bump
Velio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:10 AM   #3 
kfish

Poor guy... He's beautiful. OFL usually recommends Epsom salt rather than aquarium salt - perhaps try that? I hope his young age keeps him fighting.

Sorry I can't offer you more advice - I hope bumping this a bit makes someone more experienced come around.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:22 AM   #4 
Luimeril

poor little guy! D: have you contacted the breeder?

try that blue stuff(forget what it's called). some people say that helps with wounds.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:34 AM   #5 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
poor little guy! D: have you contacted the breeder?

try that blue stuff(forget what it's called). some people say that helps with wounds.
I did try to contact him...he just says "Oh he is ok. He just hurt in shipping." I don't think this is shipping anymore. He has stopped responding to my emails as of late.

Methylene blue? Betta Fix? There's a lot of blue stuff

@kfish:

I was going to use epsom salt...but the wound looked a bit more serious than his eyes...and I didn't want more bacteria to potentially start affecting him or making his wound worse At least one eye is decent...

Calling OFL?
Old 01-13-2011, 01:46 AM   #6 
Luimeril

the first one! Methylene blue. it's not a fix-all, but at least it'll help some, and i heard it dyes dead skin/fins blue. >.>;

no way is that shipping. how the heck could he get a wound on his side during shipping? and popeye, too? Dx that was him. >.>;
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:50 AM   #7 
kfish

/sigh What a shame that the breeder can't own up to his mistakes. He's not doing himself any favor with poor customer service. Rate him badly!

I really hope you get the response you need and I hope your new fish gets better soon. Maybe add some crushed, dried oak leaf in the meantime?
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:53 AM   #8 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfish View Post
/sigh What a shame that the breeder can't own up to his mistakes. He's not doing himself any favor with poor customer service. Rate him badly!

I really hope you get the response you need and I hope your new fish gets better soon. Maybe add some crushed, dried oak leaf in the meantime?
Well I live in Arizona..sooo... I can't find those haha! But I do have IAL so I'll add those instead

Unfortunately this was a private transaction...so I can't rate him on Aquabid.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:02 AM   #9 
DormDrax

Drax has a bad eye... probably had popeye before I got him. Which he is now blind in... but using Epsom salt did seem to make his eye go... down to a somewhat normal size.

He also has a mysterious sore on his spine that sounds similar to what you say... doesn't seem to bother him buuuuuut I'll wait and see what you guys think for you.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:28 AM   #10 
baylee767

Wow it's like the guy tried to breed your fish before he sent him to you D=

I'm definatly no betta disease expert, but maybe you can PM OFL or adastra? That looks painful to your fishy )=>
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote