Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2011, 12:26 PM   #1 
PewPewPew

Question about females and tanks?

Ohhkay. So. I have a question.
I've been considering getting a larger tank, but if I did, I was wondering, if I got a large enough one for my male and divided it, could I put females on the other?
Ive wanted a female for a while, but dont they need an odd number of girls with them? If I did a sorority type thing, what size tank would they need for the minimum sized sorority? (Like, what, three girls?)
Idk. Im a noob with the girls, but if it seems plausible to get a tank thats not giant and do this, I'd like to look into it.
I live in a small dorm, and cant go huge like a 10gal.. :c
(Would a solitary female be okay in a divided tank with my male?)
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:53 PM   #2 
Jupiter

For a sorority, you need a minimum of 10 gallons and 4 girls, but 5 is better. Splitting between a sorority and a male is fine. I think it's a nice idea, but you'd need at least 12 gallons-2 for the male and 10 for the females.

So if you can't get a 10 gallon, a sorority is out of the question. You could, however, split one male and one female in a tank-maybe 5 gallons so they both get 2.5 gallons.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:04 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
For a sorority, you need a minimum of 10 gallons and 4 girls, but 5 is better. Splitting between a sorority and a male is fine. I think it's a nice idea, but you'd need at least 12 gallons-2 for the male and 10 for the females.

So if you can't get a 10 gallon, a sorority is out of the question. You could, however, split one male and one female in a tank-maybe 5 gallons so they both get 2.5 gallons.
yeah, I do not have the space for a ten gal, as much as I wish I did :,( though if a female could live a happy life sans a sorority, I think illl invest in a 5 or so gal and divide it. Or maybe another male, idk.
Would a single divider be okay for either combo? Idk how see through they are and wouldn't wanna stress em out D:
Thankies for your help, btw <3
Old 01-13-2011, 02:12 PM   #4 
bettafish15

Males and females cant go in the same tank, even if it is divided, because the hormones in the water will cause her to be full of eggs all the time, and that takes a toll on her after awhile... Just so you know :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:25 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
Males and females cant go in the same tank, even if it is divided, because the hormones in the water will cause her to be full of eggs all the time, and that takes a toll on her after awhile... Just so you know :)
hm, really? Ive seen lots of people on here doing that..oh will.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:42 PM   #6 
gahcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
I have done this oof and on for over a year. right now i have a tank devided into 4 spaces. 1 male on the leaft and 1 girl in the other three spaces. No one is running around full of eggs. But i guess thats my experence
gahcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:39 PM   #7 
Jupiter

I've kept males and females together (divided, obviously) with no porblems either.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #8 
bettafish15

Golly people, I was just putting what I had researched here. I personally think it's a correct idea, but if you've had success with keeping males and females in a divided tank then great. o.o
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote