Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2011, 09:09 AM   #1 
Cloelia

Ideas for "laying to rest" dead betta

So, my betta died in the night. I'll get over it, but I'm wondering about how I should dispose of his body. I mean, any other betta I've had, I've just buried in the yard. Now, I live in a high rise apartment building in the middle of a city, and I don't think they'd appreciate it if I went out and started digging through what little dirt they have (plus, it's winter, and digging would be nearly impossible with a shovel, much less whatever I've got to do it). I don't really want to wait until I go home in March or April...he'd either sit rotting in his water or hanging out in the freezer. I don't think I'd like a dead fish in my freezer, and I know my roommate wouldn't. Flushing just seems so unceremonious, but it may be the only real option I have.
Cloelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:07 PM   #2 
Luimeril

some people get a flower pot, some dirt for it, bury the betta in there, then plant a flower in it. that's a cute way to bury him if you don't have room.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:09 PM   #3 
yossarian

tie him to the string of a helium balloon and send the little man to the stars
yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:46 PM   #4 
Maryrox247

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian View Post
tie him to the string of a helium balloon and send the little man to the stars

Cute idea but um...at some point the balloon will pop and what if the dead boy landed on someone's head??? (me: *shivers*) But still cool idea.

Maybe you could cremate him and save his ashes in a little jar or box? (like get a match and light him up in a safe container)
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #5 
Buttercup

I like the idea that states you could bury your Betta in a flower pot. It kinda represents that when one life ends another begins.
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #6 
metalbetta

I like the flower pot idea... I live in an apartment as well, and that's what I plan on in case one of them dies. The decomposing body will provide extra nutrients to whatever plant you decide to use.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:06 PM   #7 
ChicagoPete

Id do a saramony flush as it seems to be your only option,, srry for your loss.
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:18 PM   #8 
small fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryrox247 View Post
Maybe you could cremate him and save his ashes in a little jar or box? (like get a match and light him up in a safe container)
That is exactly what I plan to do when Tony dies.
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #9 
StarvingPoet

You could always give the little guy a Norse send off approriate for a "fighting" fish.
One of our girl's just and died and it being rather cold in Canada we couldn't bury her either and didn't want to flush her. So we made her a little boat out of carboard (With everything she'd need to take with her, of course -pellets, and some bloodworms, a rock from the tank, and whatever else you like). Then went to the river around midnight, lit the boat on fire, and let her go. (There was a cotton pad inside soaked in kerosene so it burnt well) It was a nice way to send her off.
StarvingPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:32 PM   #10 
small fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingPoet View Post
You could always give the little guy a Norse send off approriate for a "fighting" fish.
One of our girl's just and died and it being rather cold in Canada we couldn't bury her either and didn't want to flush her. So we made her a little boat out of carboard (With everything she'd need to take with her, of course -pellets, and some bloodworms, a rock from the tank, and whatever else you like). Then went to the river around midnight, lit the boat on fire, and let her go. (There was a cotton pad inside soaked in kerosene so it burnt well) It was a nice way to send her off.
That is a cute idea. It sounds like a mix between Lord of the Rings (very good book, not as good movie) and the Vikings. I might try that for one of my future boys/girls.
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote