Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2011, 08:41 PM   #1 
puppyrjjkm

Exclamation Needed: Dummy proof guide to live plants.

Hey everyone! I will be going to college in the fall (freshmen woo) and will be taking with me a 10 gallon with one male betta and probably my mystery snail (will he eat live plants?) Anyway I need a fail-proof guide for live plants because I really want to do it, and this will be the tank I won't change around much. So I'll a couple things I know I need to know, but other than that please share all your wisdom! Thanks so much!

Will my mystery snail eat the live plants? (Would ghost shrimp eat live plants?)
Best/easy beginner plants?
Do I need some special substrate under my gravel?
Do I need liquid "fertilizer"?
Best lighting? I have the "yellow" looking bulbs currently. Is natural sunlight from a window enough light?
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:58 PM   #2 
jschristian44

natural sunlight would probably be fine. fertilizer i wouldnt worry about. i just got substrate from petco. 20 lbs for 17 shipped. its supposed to grow out plants and be fertilizer. if you want good floating plants, i would try out frogbit. they look very nice and provide plenty of hiding space. the snail will probably eat the plants, i doubt the shrimp will, unless you dont give him food. im not an expert, im just guess on this stuff.
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:38 PM   #3 
shinybetta

Research the Walstad method. It works great! The mystery snail and ghost shrimp won't eat plants. Good beginner plants: Java fern, java moss, hornwort, anacharis, anubias.... With the walstad method you do not need fertilizers. The natural light is good, but you should look into 6500K lights for plants.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote