Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2011, 06:52 PM   #1 
Auntie Crazy

Not happy, and apparently not as ready as I thought.

I bought a HM Betta from Petco a week ago. I've had fish for many years, so I thought I was totally ready for this guy with a six-gallon Eclipse tank, gravel, plastic plants and a plastic tree stump, but apparently, Bettas are more fragile than I realized.

This is Jimmy a few days after bringing him home (he's eating a bloodworm).

And this is my wee little Jimmy today. As you can see, his gorgeous tail now has a split in it. He's the only fish in the tank, he's active and eats very well, I couldn't understand how such a thing could happen... until I searched this forum. I guess I'll have to take everything out of his tank and search for rough edges. I'm very sad I've done this to my little friend...

I'm completely snowed in right now, but as soon as I can get out - hopefully tomorrow afternoon / evening - I'm going to get a sponge for the filter intake to slow the flow way down, some aquarium salt, a gravel hose filter, a heater and a fish bowl (to let water sit overnight for next-day water changes).

Hopefully, Jimmy does no further damage before I can get the filter slowed and the plants/decorations checked and replaced.

I'm thinking about researching live plants, too, as Bettas seem to do so much better with them. A little more work than I was expecting (I work 40+ hours a week and attend school, online, full time), but whatever it takes to get him healthy and keep him that way is precisely what I'll do.

Funny that a finny friend can capture one's affection so solidly in so few days!

AC

Last edited by Auntie Crazy; 01-12-2011 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Added a heater to list of things to buy.
Auntie Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:53 PM   #2 
demonr6

Yeah, you do get really attached to them rather quickly. We have had our Marco for a little over a year and he took ill recently and I think I have spent well over $200 recently getting him larger accommodations, meds, etc while he has been sick. This is something we have been battling a nasty case of SBD for almost two weeks and I am obsessing over his health now.

I would say good idea to get the fake plants out of there as soon as possible to prevent further damage and for sure do something about that filter. There was a post earlier where someone's fishy had his fins shredded off because of it.
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:58 PM   #3 
kpullen89

I'm sorry that happened to your betta! I hope everything works out. I really just wanted to say that he is GORGEOUS. :)
kpullen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:20 PM   #4 
Luimeril

is it a clean split, or does it look like a chunk's missing? if it's a clean split, he probably ripped it. if it looks like a chunk's missing, he probably bit it. add a little aquarium salt(a teaspoon per gallon, mixed in a cup of hot/warm water to help it dissolve faster, then added to his tank, a bit at a time over the course of a few hours is what i use), and it'll help keep the rip clean, and help it heal.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:28 PM   #5 
Malvolti

What Luimeril said.

It looks like your boy likes to show off his fins. Bettas who display their fins a lot, do it aggressively or have strong filters can get what people tend to refer to as a "blow-out", basically the webbing between the rays tears. This will generally heal within a few days, depending on the fish.

Another option is Tail Biting, some Bettas have a tendency to bite chunks out of their tails; Like how some people bite their finger nails. This will take more time to heal but it will heal.

It doesn't look like fin rot from your pictures. Look for black crusty edges just incase.

Clean water, salt and a high protien diet all help stimulate the healing process, in the manner Luimeril suggested.

As for live plants, they do add a lot to the tank and there are some that take little to no care. Look for Java Fern, Java Moss, Marimo (Moss balls), Anubias, Anacharis or Water Wisteria. They basically require the same conditions as the betta and can develope a nice, symbiotic relationship.

Last edited by Malvolti; 01-12-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #6 
Auntie Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonr6 View Post
Yeah, you do get really attached to them rather quickly. We have had our Marco for a little over a year and he took ill recently and I think I have spent well over $200 recently getting him larger accommodations, meds, etc while he has been sick. This is something we have been battling a nasty case of SBD for almost two weeks and I am obsessing over his health now.

I would say good idea to get the fake plants out of there as soon as possible to prevent further damage and for sure do something about that filter. There was a post earlier where someone's fishy had his fins shredded off because of it.
Wow, that's a chunk of change! I'm sorry for my ignorance, but what is SBD?

I saw the pics of that poor betta, how very sad. As upset as I am over a simple (as I realize now) split, I can only imagine how that betta's owner feels. *cringe*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpullen89 View Post
I'm sorry that happened to your betta! I hope everything works out. I really just wanted to say that he is GORGEOUS. :)
Thank you so much, Kpullen89!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
is it a clean split, or does it look like a chunk's missing? if it's a clean split, he probably ripped it. if it looks like a chunk's missing, he probably bit it. add a little aquarium salt(a teaspoon per gallon, mixed in a cup of hot/warm water to help it dissolve faster, then added to his tank, a bit at a time over the course of a few hours is what i use), and it'll help keep the rip clean, and help it heal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvolti View Post
What Luimeril said.

It looks like your boy likes to show off his fins. Bettas who display their fins a lot, do it aggressively or have strong filters can get what people tend to refer to as a "blow-out", basically the webbing between the rays tears. This will generally heal within a few days, depending on the fish.

Another option is Tail Biting, some Bettas have a tendency to bite chunks out of their tails; Like how some people bite their finger nails. This will take more time to heal but it will heal.

It doesn't look like fin rot from your pictures. Look for black crusty edges just incase.

Clean water, salt and a high protien diet all help stimulate the healing process, in the manner Luimeril suggested.

As for live plants, they do add a lot to the tank and there are some that take little to no care. Look for Java Fern, Java Moss, Marimo (Moss balls), Anubias, Anacharis or Water Wisteria. They basically require the same conditions as the betta and can develope a nice, symbiotic relationship.
Thanks for all the info, Luimeril, Malvolti, I appreciate it.

It's definitely a clean split. I see no indications of disease, and no missing pieces (thank goodness). I've identified and removed the offending plant, added the salt and a heater, and stuffed the intake valve of the filter with a sponge.

A quick question reference the filter - the water's no longer flowing hard enough to turn the bio-wheel smoothly, but from what I understand, the balance of the bacteria in a cycled tank is not so much in the filter as it is on everything else inside the tank, so it's ok the bio-wheel is only turning intermittently now, correct?

I've checked the food and thankfully, I picked up one of those I've seen recommended here, with whole fish meal as the first ingredient.

Jimmy does like to spread all his fins out, Malvolti. He doesn't do it hard, nor does he flare (yet), but he does like to look pretty. Hopefully, with the slower water and that nasty plant gone, he can do it without hurting himself.

Speaking of plants, I'm going shopping this weekend. I've never had live plants before, so this will all be new to me; I'm looking forward to the new experience!

Best regards, all! And thanks again for responding so warmly to a newbie's anxiety.

AC
Auntie Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:40 PM   #7 
demonr6

SBD - swim bladder disorder
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:48 PM   #8 
Luimeril

Cup's always ripping his fins. he flares at everything, be it a speck on his tank wall, a barking dog, or me or my legs. xD i don't freak out about any fin issues now, thanks to him and Dante, my tail biter. >.>; as long as you keep his tank clean and warm, it'll heal up nicely. :3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote