Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2011, 07:05 PM   #1 
TharBePirates

12 Gal

Just picked up a Marineland Eclipse 12 gal out of sheer luck. I want to do a live planted tank with my betta, snail and a colony of RCS with either some Mickey Mouse Platies, Dalmation Mollies or both. However-

Should I get the Platies or the Mollies or both? And how many of each?

Thanks guys :)
TharBePirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:11 PM   #2 
small fry

Some people wouldn't recommend Platys or Mollys in a 12g tank. I think it is Ok to have a couple, but I wouldn't put them in with a betta. Mollys and Platys are live-bearers, and those tend to be nippy. My betta used to live with a Swordtail before he had to move because his fins were getting nipped.

I also don't generally recommend RCS with bettas, because some bettas (there is no way to know until you try) will eat or kill the RCS. RCS are pretty small, and they have bright colors. Even the bigger, harder to see shrimp like ghost shrimp are in danger when it comes to bettas (Tony tried to kill one of my GS when I put it in for the first time).

Snails are generally safe when it comes to bettas, especially snails with "trapdoors". Each snail requires a little bit of research, though. It is a good idea to know what kind you are going to get.
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Nice find...I would get platies-mollies can get too big and depending on if you want fry or not- get either all males or 1 male to 2 female with livebearers so the female isn't harassed to death...just remember that some of the fry will be eaten by the Betta-they usually won't eat them all but enough to keep the population under control...which is a good thing IMO....I keep guppies with my Bettas in the big tanks for that reason.....Betta food-they can only eat them from birth to about 1 week usually- because the fry get too big to fit in their mouth and too fast for them to catch...

As long as you have plenty of hiding places the shrimp should be fine, however, some Betta can view them as food....the shrimpletts usually won't last long with either fish species unless you have lots of moss for them to hide in.
I don't have any problems with my males in even the small tanks with the RCS...but the female destroy the shrimp pretty fast.....each Betta is different in what they will tolerate.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:29 PM   #4 
small fry

(most live-bearers eat their young. I don't know if platys are the same way)
small fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

It depends on how well fed the livebearer are if they eat their fry or not as well as cover provided in the tank...with heavy live planted tanks you will get a higher survival rate in the fry too.but some will be eaten regardless IME.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:41 PM   #6 
TharBePirates

My betta has been housed with both a snail and shrimp (the ghost shrimp died because they escaped out the top) with no problems. He's very docile for a betta, doesn't even flair when he's cupped and set next to our other male's tank. He's never chased nor hunted any of his tankmates, in fact the ghosties were the aggressive ones when I had them.

I'm not worrying about cover, I'm a firm believer in making sure there is plenty of cover for everyone and the tank is naturally planted. I'm going with either flourite or eco-complete for substrate. The old tank is a 5 gal with loads of java moss, broad leaf anubias, anubias nana, riccia, duckweed, java fern reg, lace java fern and amazon sword. I'll be transplanting a good amount of it to the 12. Also, I'm going to add dwarf baby tears and christmas moss. That, and I'll probably be getting the faux driftwood below and attaching some of the plants to it.

Alright so platies! How many of them? Or would guppies be a better choice?
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #7 
BettaJ

in a 12gallon. just get 2 females and 1 male. they'll make plenty of babies in a few months. id go for the platy's cuz theyre larger.

guppies will tend to get fins nipped by bettas
BettaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:33 PM   #8 
TharBePirates

Awesome, will def go with 3 platies then. With the decor I just bought the community is going have a lot of space to explore and hide.