Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #1 
mjbn

Female betta fin regrowth HELP

I made the foolish mistake of putting two female bettas in the same .5 tank for acclimating them. I observed for a minute and they were fine, swimming next to each other. I then left them alone for 5 minutes and they were fighting when i looked back): one's tail fin is missing about 1/8, including the rods with it, so i'm not sure about how to treat it. I've only had 1 betta male before. Rightnow i'm using API salt to treat it but i've heard that tea also helps. Or what kind of tree leaves?

Can decaf lipton tea work? I do not think it's green tea, it's just regular tea.
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:54 PM   #2 
kfish

You could probably stick to the salt unless you notice a problem. I wouldn't add it for more than two weeks. When I got my fish, his fins had been DEMOLISHED by fighting in WalMart cups (September: http://www.bettafish.com/picture.php...pictureid=9075 December 7th: http://www.bettafish.com/picture.php...ictureid=10038). I didn't do anything special except some salt for the first bit and good water changes, and he's fine.

If you want to add some leaves, people recommend dried oak tree leaves (make sure there are no chemicals or pesticides on the leaves).

Last edited by kfish; 01-12-2011 at 11:57 PM.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:07 AM   #3 
Luimeril

my newest girl, Caroline, is missing a chunk of her bottom fin. all i do is change her water every second day(so, i changed it today, won't change it tomorrow, will change it Friday), and keep her warm. if you want, to help keep things clean, add a bit of Aquarium Salt, one teaspoon per gallon. i mix it in a cup with hot water, to help it dissolve faster, then dump a portion in it every half hour.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:54 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

The best thing for torn fins is clean, warm water.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote