Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2011, 10:12 AM   #11 
shinybetta

Cycling is not needed. You could to a walstad tank! My cories love walstad tanks! They all lay under the driftwood together, but when food comes they start scavenging. Cories are very cool little catfish.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:44 PM   #12 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinybetta View Post
Cycling is not needed. You could to a walstad tank! My cories love walstad tanks! They all lay under the driftwood together, but when food comes they start scavenging. Cories are very cool little catfish.
... Say what? Cycling is needed >.>
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:58 PM   #13 
Jupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinybetta View Post
I've never heard of a walstad tank before. What is that?
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:18 AM   #14 
baylee767

^it's where instead of having the bacteria, you have lots of live plants that suck out the ammonia. There is usually little to no nitri/ates.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:40 PM   #15 
BettaJ

the betta should be fine with out cycling the tank. just up the WC's.
but even then.

its the cories that may have a problem.
BettaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:24 AM   #16 
LeeNMissG

So I'm gonna tell you all what I did, but try not to get mad or anything. I went to PetSmart and bought 3 more fish for my Betta and Cory (yes it is a Cory). I got an albino cory (acts very strange all the time), a zebra danio, and some kind of red and blue tetra, but there isn't any blue so. . . Anyway, I put the new fish into the tank fish, let them get adjusted then put in Bob and Terry. Bob chases them all around, but no tail nipping. Just wanted to let you all know how things turned out. I haven't gotten any good shots of the tank, but when I do, I'll post them.
LeeNMissG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:58 AM   #17 
baylee767

Okay, LISTEN to this.

The biggest message me promote here at Bettafish is "research BEFORE you buy" Because your fish will die if you don't know proper care.

FIRST, zebra danios are VERY nippy schooling fish requiring I think it was 5 fish minimum.

SECOND, those blue and red fish are called Neon tetras. They are SUPER delicate, and if your water has a PH above 7 they have a hard time and can't stand ammonia very well. They also need at least 5.

THIRD, cories are reccomended 3 (preferably 4) to 5.

And in that tank you can't put all those fish species in (The right amount I mean) because then you'd be way over stocked. Some bettas can't handle tankmates. the tetras and danios can and will nip your fish way too much. All the fish will likely die from stress and/or bad conditions.

The reason there is no nipping now is everyone is trying to get accustomed to the tank and are too stressed out for that.

Sorry to sound rough, but that's the truth. You always ALWAYS research before buying. Return some of those fish and try again is all I can say.

A better stock would be say... get 3 more cories (so you have 4) your 1 Betta, and maybe 1-3 female guppies.

Last edited by baylee767; 01-15-2011 at 04:07 AM.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #18 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
Okay, LISTEN to this.

The biggest message me promote here at Bettafish is "research BEFORE you buy" Because your fish will die if you don't know proper care.

FIRST, zebra danios are VERY nippy schooling fish requiring I think it was 5 fish minimum.

SECOND, those blue and red fish are called Neon tetras. They are SUPER delicate, and if your water has a PH above 7 they have a hard time and can't stand ammonia very well. They also need at least 5.

THIRD, cories are reccomended 3 (preferably 4) to 5.

And in that tank you can't put all those fish species in (The right amount I mean) because then you'd be way over stocked. Some bettas can't handle tankmates. the tetras and danios can and will nip your fish way too much. All the fish will likely die from stress and/or bad conditions.

The reason there is no nipping now is everyone is trying to get accustomed to the tank and are too stressed out for that.

Sorry to sound rough, but that's the truth. You always ALWAYS research before buying. Return some of those fish and try again is all I can say.

A better stock would be say... get 3 more cories (so you have 4) your 1 Betta, and maybe 1-3 female guppies.
+1 what baylee said. I think 4 cories and 1 betta will be fine.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote