Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2011, 10:53 PM   #1 
shinybetta

Sorority Issue

Well I had just had to seperate two bettas from the sorority. They were going for the death. I always thought that they were female. When I bought them they had large egg-spots, and were very female like. However, when fighting they had long ventrals, and their egg spot was so small I could barely see it. They have been fine to this today, and they never attacked each other. Their fins and head look female like, but their ventral fins are long, they have a full beards, and they have barely any egg spot. I will try to get pics when my dad comes home.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:15 PM   #2 
crowntail lover

A good and easy way to pick out males from females is a bubble nest... Have they made anything that looks like a bubble nest? And were they kept with other females...?
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:59 PM   #3 
shinybetta

Yes, they are 4 other females. I have resolved the problem. Turns out that they were fighting over who got to go in a certain decoration.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:03 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinybetta View Post
Yes, they are 4 other females. I have resolved the problem. Turns out that they were fighting over who got to go in a certain decoration.
lol!!! Fighting over who got to go in a certain decoration! That cracked me up! They're just like little kids.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:55 PM   #5 
crowntail lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
lol!!! Fighting over who got to go in a certain decoration! That cracked me up! They're just like little kids.
Arent all Bettas? haha
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #6 
PinkPigletBettaNewbie

haha thats cute.
PinkPigletBettaNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:16 AM   #7 
shinybetta

Well, unfortunately all the others died and now both are in critical condition. I don't think they will make it
Old 01-15-2011, 02:18 AM   #8 
baylee767

Aww I'm sorry about that )=

How come so many sororities end like this? It's so sad )=
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:50 PM   #9 
shinybetta

Well, they all died. I thought they just had ich, but they had internal parasites as well. By the time I realized that it was to late though.... At least the cories and pleco are okay though.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:10 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
Aww I'm sorry about that )=

How come so many sororities end like this? It's so sad )=
This is just my opinion.....when you place half grown to full grown unrelated female Bettas in a 10gal tank-the stress alone causes multi problems...starting with compromising the immune response and it is down hill from that point......in my opinion....sororities should start out in nothing smaller than 20 gallons with related females or if you can only get unrelated females they need to be under 2 months of age with lots of floating plants, low growing plants and most important tall plants that go all the way to the top to the point that they float somewhat on the surface in at least 6 different places-back-sides-middle..... to break the line-of-sight-this is to give them a way to the top without being seen....IMO-it is more important to have hiding places at the top and mid level not the bottom, however, this is important too-because Betta are top/surface dwelling fish and this isn't even talking about the feeding issues you can still have with sororities........

I have seen folks post about their 10g sororities that do well for about 6 months and then crash...rarely do you hear about them being successful much longer....some do...but it is rare......this is just my opinion.......

Shinybetta...sorry about your loss......these type of setup can be a challenge even for the most experienced keeper......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote