Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-14-2011, 03:59 AM   #11 
ilovebunnies

I've been researching CO2 also for my plants. Right now I dose plant ferts with excel (liquid carbon, the simplest way to add carbon). I just bought a desk light from Home Depot for my 2.5 gallon. It's the Hampton Bay Desk Lamp with 27 watts, 6,500k. I dose excel everyday and I am hoping to see good plant growth with this light, the ferts, and the excel. I'll have to report back to you in a few weeks if I see good growth.

I heard that injected CO2 (more difficult than liquid carbon) is more readily available for the plants to use than liquid carbon. I just didn't want to get too technical with my setup (But I might still do it anyway). You can find 'How to' videos on youtube and go on the plantedtank.net to see how to make one. The most difficult part to this setup seems to be getting the CO2 bubbles to defuse into the water properly. I read that the CO2 diffuser needs to be placed where the water returns from the filter to help 'chop up' the bubbles.
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:17 PM   #12 
Tomsk

Im going to use the liquid form myself,rather than spend uber ammounts on a C02 system.Seachem's Flourish Excel or Easy carbo seem to be the two most recommended I have heard of.
Some plants may be too sensitive for a daily dose (crypts?,I can't remember) but you can knock it back to once every two days.

Tomsk

Last edited by Tomsk; 01-14-2011 at 06:17 PM. Reason: bad spelling..yet again :P
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:57 PM   #13 
jschristian44

is c02 really REQUIRED for a planted tank? what if i just have a bunch of frogbit and a couple amazon sword leafs. i have a nice tropical sun light so lighting wont be a problem, and ive got substrate for the bottom to feed them. will i still need c02? ive got a filter as well.
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:07 AM   #14 
Apocalypse

I've just recently gotten into live planting myself so I'm still in the learning process. Not all plants need co2 though. My plants did just fine without it, but they've started growing like weeds since I added it.
Apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:13 AM   #15 
jschristian44

yeah i think they will grow tons better, but for easy beginner plants ive read its really not worth it. anyways, ive got a nice diffuser if i ever do decide to do it. but all im getting are amazon sword and frogbit for my tank so i think my good lighting will be more than enough.
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote