Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2011, 06:08 AM   #11 
gopal87

But the walstad method needs a lot of fine tuning and understanding of what nutrients/plants/lighting to adjust to cope up with algae, else you'll have a tank reeking with algae.

The shrimp method is good, if you plan on leaving your fish tank in the basement etc for 2 weeks and not plan on entering it for the duration of the cycle. I had mine in my room by the bed side and was a little planted initially. At the end of my first week, even with 3 dead shrimps rotting away, i had less than .25ppm ammonia, 0 nitrites & 0 nitrates. But i guess the plants were eating up the ammonia. And my room stunk so much that i felt feverish sometimes!!!
At the end of the first week, I threw the shrimps and bought myself the ACS ammonia, which is just clean, fast and easy. I also planted it heavily. The roots of the plants have root nodules sometimes filled with the beneficial bacteria and so it greatly speeds up the process.
gopal87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:50 AM   #12 
HarleyRigid

All comes down to personal choice I guess. I would rather do a bit of home work and a bit of fine tuning with the Walstad than twice weekly water changes with a cycled tank. Would also rather spend my time tweaking lighting, nutrients, keeping plants trimmed and tidy etc than water changes. As an interstate truck driver the Walstad gives me more freedom in that if I dont have time for a week or two to do a water change then I am not worried about coming home to a belly up fish. Leading up to Christmas and for a few weeks after I work 7 days a week and am away from home 5 or more nights a week. I just dont have time for water changes etc in those busy times. Again... it all comes down to personal preference and what suits you and your tank best.
Best of luck either way
HarleyRigid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:12 PM   #13 
c4talys7

Tank update!

Okay, well I just bought the fish and the tank today from Petco. Filter, heater, everything ive included. I have a place for the two Betta while I'm cycling and I have decided on the pure ammoina method because I just found out that I can get that for pretty cheap. I also have two arachnis bunches, one for each side of the divided tank.

Hopefully this works out right, I really don't want these Betta to get sick. Thanks everyone for your help!!!

One last question, the plants can be in the tank while I'm cycling, correct?
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:48 AM   #14 
kfish

Yes! The plants can be in there while you're cycling.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycling, plants, water changes