Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2011, 02:15 PM   #1 
Littlebittyfish

cycling questions fishfood

Cleo is currently in his 1 gallon QT. while I am treating him for a fungus/bacteria, so I thought while he was in there I should go ahead and cycle his 5 gallon tank the right way, however, I have never cycled a tank before but I have read up on here a little bit, I just have a few questions.

If I went to petco or petsmart and bought one of their in-tank decorations would this count as seeding my tank with bacteria from an already established tank? Also, what are some good decent priced kits that I can check the nitrites, nitrates and ammonia with?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Labo...c-Pets/3635399

Would this be a good kit, or is this one better?

http://www.petco.com/product/103685/...es_Maintenance

If there are better ones than this to use could you please show me some, I’m kind of new at this.

Would a product like “stress zyme” speed up the cycle time a little bit, has any one ever used this product?

I'm also curious if anyone could point me in the direction to a few websites that could possibly thoroughly walk me through how to do a fish food cycle on my 5 gallon tank, I want to make sure I do this right!
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

One of the better hobby grade test kits that has everything you need is the second one from Petco-API freshwater master test kit....if you are going to order on line...go to Dr foster and Smith they had theirs on-sale for $19.19.....but $24. is a good price too.

Also, you can safely cycle the 5gal filtered tank with the Betta if you are willing and able to make the needed water changes....and with a test kit it will make the job much easier.....

I can help you with that if you like...fish food cycle will work, however you can risk bad bacteria and the in-tank decoration can help by having some of the beneficial bacteria on it as long as it is fed.

The cycling products are a waste of time and money IMO
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:04 PM   #3 
Littlebittyfish

Cool, Thank you I will check out Dr foster and Smith. The only reason he isn't in the 5 gallon right now is that he started to get sick, clamped fins,then I noticed a hole in his back fin and white fuzz, so I took him out of the 5 gallon and now have him in the 1 gallon with a little aquarium salt and bettafix.Cleo seems to be doing a little better, white fuzz is gone at least! woohoo!

I was just worried about stressing him out any more while trying to cycle with him in there.While he was in the 5 gallon, un-cycled I did a 50% water change daily. What percent of water changes are needed if I cycle with him in the 5 gallon, and do I need to add anything to the 5 gallon to help it cycle? I will wait to add him back into the 5 gallon until he is feeling better, and I get the test kit.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:19 PM   #4 
jschristian44

this is the kit i got:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

comes with all the tests you need. it was the only one i found with all the tests, ph, nitrite/nitrate all in one. the rest were just as much and were incomplete. if you need a test kit i highly recommend this one.
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:22 PM   #5 
jschristian44

dr foster and smith are excellent. they have amazing prices on their stuff. the cheapest anywhere online besides amazon and a few other sites like aquabid. their fish site is www.liveaquaria.com
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:25 PM   #6 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschristian44 View Post
dr foster and smith are excellent. they have amazing prices on their stuff. the cheapest anywhere online besides amazon and a few other sites like aquabid. their fish site is www.liveaquaria.com
Thank you!
Old 01-17-2011, 04:30 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Good that you removed him to treat....always the best method....

In a 5gal filtered tank with one Betta-during the cycling period without water test kit on hand-I would make 2-50% water changes a week-1- water only and one include substrate vacuuming-don't over feed-your first 50% water only change need to start on day 3 and then schedule your changes from that day...once you get the water test kit-make your second or extra weekly water change only if needed based on water prams-ammonia or nitrite 0.25ppm or greater-you may not need the 2nd water change but without water test you make the 2nd as the safety net so to speak with fish in cycling-make water test daily during the nitrogen cycle once cycled weekly and if the fish behavior changes to rule out water quality as the cause and make needed water changes based on the readings.

You will always make 1-50% with vacuum weekly regardless of water prams as the regular schedule water change to maintain water quality-some things we don't test for that need to be removed on a weekly bases along with keeping nitrate in check- ideally you want nitrate in the 5-10ppm range and always under 20ppm

Give the filter media a swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change 1-2 times a month and when the water flow slow...you don't want to do this for the first 30 days of cycling if you can-but water flow is important too.

Make sure that the water temp is within a couple of degree of new and old water and use dechlorinator with any water added to the fish...but you know this already I am sure.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:41 PM   #8 
Littlebittyfish

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the help!