Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2011, 04:55 AM   #1 
addie

New Fish owner...

So I am posting on here because I am the new owner of a betta fish. A friend of mine decided it would be nice to give betta fish as our Christmas present. She called it friendship fish. I have to be honest, I have never owned a fish in my life because I already have three dogs and a bird, but now that the challenge has been given to me, I want to take good care of it. She gave it to me in a small bowl. It looks to be about the size of a vase that carries a dozen roses. I consider it small, and it has gravel and a small little sign decoration. Tomorrow I will be going to the store to pick up a bigger fish bowl and maybe a plant and whatever else i need to take care of bettas. I have many concerns though. First of all, I would like proper instruction on how to transfer my fish from my fish bowl into the bigger one. Second, I want to know, if I buy bottled spring water, does that mean I have to put treatment drops in it or is it good to just pour this water straight into the new bowl? Third, how do I transition the fish from the one bowl's water to the others? Fourth, I would just like some general advice and tips on how to take care of this fish. Any and all help would be great!!! :) TIA everyone!
addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:31 AM   #2 
fishman12

#1: You should buy a net at the petstore, and use that to (quickly) move your fish from one home to the other.
#2:You should be okay, but be careful to put the same brand in at the same time.
#3: See #1
#4: Depending on the size you want, you will have to do weekly changes or daily changes or every other day water changes. Second, I recomend a water test kit. (not strips) like the API master test kit (I think they're cheaper at Walmart). Third: don't get a tank mate quite yet. The bigger the tank, the better. You'll also want to get a heater and a thermometer. The temp should be at or around 78-80.

By the way, welcome to the world of bettas and to the forums!
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Welcome addie...to the wonderful world of Betta keeping and the forum...you came to the right place

I would go and read all the sticky on this site as a start and ask all the questions you need...lots of folks here that will be happy to help....

For starters-if you are on city water supply you need to get a good dechlorinater-this is important

I would not use bottled water-more due to cost with all the water changes that you need to do and you need to use dechlorinator with bottled water anyway so why not just use your tap water

You also need a heater and thermometer to keep the water temp stable in the 76-80F range

Depending on what size tank you get and if you have a filter or not will be how you base your water change schedule

Live plants are always good-but make sure you get true aquatic plants- a lot of plants sold at the box type pet shops are not true aquatic plants...especially the one in the tubes...Java fern is a good plant to start with if you can find that one-it easy and low light

To transfer the fish from one container to another-if the same source water is used-all you need to do is acclimate them to the water temp-I use a net but you can also use a small container.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:14 PM   #4 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Welcome, Addie!

You can learn a lot here... people are very nice and helpful.

The site FAQ (on the site menu bar, at the top of the page) is an excellant resource. Happy reading!

Cheryl
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #5 
gbose

New Fish Advice

Addie,

Welcome to the betta-keeping world!

I'd recommend:

1) Get a small tank, rather than a bowl --- maybe 2-10 gallons; they don't cost much.
2) Get a small filter -- I believe bettas don't like strong currents, which would happen with a larger filter. Maybe something good for a 1-2 gallon tank (tetra whisper has a nice inexpensive model)
3) Get a small heater -- you want to keep the temperature up in the high 70s Fahrenheit.
4) Get dechlorinator and add to the water before you put it in the tank,
5) Don't mix other fish in with your betta; mine killed two guppies...

Initially, you'll have to change the water very day or two. Later, after your tank 'cycles' (should be 4-5weeks), you could go to daily water changes.

Good luck!

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello, Addie and welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:40 AM   #7 
addie

Thanks everyone! I have taken the advice and my fishy is very happy :) He made his first bubble nest the other night...
Old 01-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #8 
dragonfair

Welcome to the forum, addie! Do you have any pics of your fishie? What did you name him?
dragonfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:24 PM   #9 
addie

No name as of yet. My friend has this terrible luck where any fish she names seems to die. Therefore, I am holding off, until I know fishy is doing good before I name him. Pics will be coming soon.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:31 PM   #10 
Aluyasha

Everyone seems to have given you the basic care. So how about just some decor tips. :)
It is not a must, but I always make sure my Bettas have a cave or something they can hide/swim through. The floating betta log by Zoomed is always a popular toy. Mine also like lots of plants, silk or real, if you want plastic plants then make sure they are not sharp enough to rip your Betta's fins.
Also, pellet food is recommended over flakes, they tend to have more nutrients and flakes normally sink too fast for the Betta to have time to eat it. Most Bettas will only eat off the surface of the water and once it sinks, they ignore it.
Also, make sure he has access to air, Bettas breathe air (thought I would add that, some people are not aware).
Keep asking questions and we will keep answering. Good luck with your new finned friend! :)
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote