Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #1 
Sweeda88

Sequin is tail biting.

I was just looking at Sequin, and saw that he now had "rays". I know it's tail biting because he has perfectly chomped between each ray, and there was a little spot that wasn't quite bitten off. I also saw that this had happened on the other long fins as well. I don't know what the problem is. There haven't been any changes in his tank, and he has plenty of space. How do I treat this? I have a one gallon tank that I could float in his tank for a hospital tank. How much aquarium salt do I need to use?
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:21 PM   #2 
Sherleelee

Location: I now live in Vic, Australia but from Alberta Canada
just add your normal amount of AQ salt, and do 25% dailey water changes for at least a week. Thats what i was doing. ( my betta sam is a cronic tail bitter) and after the week just go back to your normal routine, my betta sam has his tail fully healed within a couple weeks ( until he chews it again) dont stress too much about it, but those tips should help. :)
Sherleelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:22 PM   #3 
Sweeda88

I don't use aquarium salt on a regular basis. But I read another thread that helped me out. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2011, 09:23 PM   #4 
Sherleelee

Oh well you def should start using it with your regular water changes! it helps fight off most infections ect ^.^
Old 01-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #5 
Sweeda88

Well, it can cause organ damage to the fish if used on a regular basis. So I don't think I'll be doing that.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:05 AM   #6 
Sherleelee

never herd that one, herd from alot of other people that they have used it 6+years on there bettas and they have all been fine, just depends on ur perferance i suppose
Old 01-17-2011, 12:50 PM   #7 
Sweeda88

Well, most of his fins grew back overnight. Literally overnight. That is so cool. I bet he has done this in the past without me noticing. lol
Old 01-17-2011, 04:33 PM   #8 
Sweeda88

I was wrong about it healing. All he did was bite off all the long pieces that he had made. I noticed that his tail was shorter than it should be. RAGE! I don't know what is wrong with him.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:39 PM   #9 
Sherleelee

Do you have anything in the tank that could be stressing him out? my betta sam was tail biting was caused by my air pump so all i did was move the pump behind the tank and he has stopped since then, so maybe he just is really stressed, if there isnt anything new thats happend to the tank and he has never done this b4, it could just be a habbit he has formed, sadly bettas end up doing it just for w.e reason and we cant really do anything about it. so lets hope its just cause of stress eh.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:48 PM   #10 
Sweeda88

No, nothing different. I think he may be getting sick. I just noticed he's lost a lot of color around his face. He isn't that old, but I'd bet he was at least a year old when I got him. But I know paling is a sign of illness.