Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #1 
rshal

Do sick fish get angry?

Silly question I know, but when I woke up this morning my fish "Obi" had a white patch on the top of his head. I did research and to me it looks like a fungus. I went to Petsmart and bought "Fungal Cure" cause it was the only thing they carried.

I have noticed however that when I look closely at him at his tank his face puffs up like it does when he sees his reflection! Is he angry at me, it looks as if he wants to fight me! I just found this behavior odd, since he has never done this to me before!

Also, just wondering is it ok to treat him for ick at the same time, since it could be ick? It's just one spot on the top of his head, it isn't cottony yet. I thought ick was an all over the body type of infection?

The lady at Petsmart says it's ick, but after I researched it, I definitely think it's fungus. Anyhow I learned in the past to ignore them most of them do not have the proper knowledge.
rshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:17 PM   #2 
Luimeril

Hyde is an ill boy, and he gets mad at me if i don't feed him when he wants food. lol but, he gobbles it up so fast, i'm scared he'll choke! Dx he had three pellets in his mouth this afternoon after i fed him. ;A; he gets frustrated at me often, though. xD
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:18 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshal View Post
Silly question I know, but when I woke up this morning my fish "Obi" had a white patch on the top of his head. I did research and to me it looks like a fungus. I went to Petsmart and bought "Fungal Cure" cause it was the only thing they carried.

I have noticed however that when I look closely at him at his tank his face puffs up like it does when he sees his reflection! Is he angry at me, it looks as if he wants to fight me! I just found this behavior odd, since he has never done this to me before!

Also, just wondering is it ok to treat him for ick at the same time, since it could be ick? It's just one spot on the top of his head, it isn't cottony yet. I thought ick was an all over the body type of infection?

The lady at Petsmart says it's ick, but after I researched it, I definitely think it's fungus. Anyhow I learned in the past to ignore them most of them do not have the proper knowledge.
Im pretty sure Ich IS a sort of fungus..
Picture, please?
Keep the temp. high (80-82) in his tank, keep it dark and keep it clean with the medicine. Take out all the stuff in the tank (decor, gravel, etc) and either boil it or scald it. That'll get rid of the grossness. Do it a few times over the course of your treatment.
And yeah, that flaring is normal. Mine usually doesnt flare at me, but he has his days
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:42 PM   #4 
rshal

Thank you so much for your information! Here are the photos that you requested. The tank water looks a little discolored, but that is because I gave it a thorough cleaning, filled it with conditioned water, and started the Fungal Cure product. It turns the tank a cloudy green color, which it says on the package is normal. Also, I keep the tank at 78-80 degrees a lot of the time. And do not keep a light on because I don't want it to fry the betta!

Also you said that ick is considered a "fungus" I thought it was a parasite? I hope someone can help clear this up because I bought both "Fungus Cure" and I bought an Ick treatment.

Here is a photo of "Obi." The first photo is the spot on the top of his head. And the second one is of his whole body.

Photos not showing up on the posting. Please access the photo from my two links via Flickr. Thanks!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rshal/5368298798/
and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rshal/5367688759

Last edited by rshal; 01-18-2011 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Photos Not Showing Up
Old 01-18-2011, 04:03 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Thank you so much for your information! Here are the photos that you requested. The tank water looks a little discolored, but that is because I gave it a thorough cleaning, filled it with conditioned water, and started the Fungal Cure product. It turns the tank a cloudy green color, which it says on the package is normal. Also, I keep the tank at 78-80 degrees a lot of the time. And do not keep a light on because I don't want it to fry the betta!

Also you said that ick is considered a "fungus" I thought it was a parasite? I hope someone can help clear this up because I bought both "Fungus Cure" and I bought an Ick treatment.

Here is a photo of "Obi." The first photo is the spot on the top of his head. And the second one is of his whole body.

Photos not showing up on the posting. Please access the photo from my two links via Flickr. Thanks!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rshal/5368298798/
and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rshal/5367688759
Heh, youre right ^^;; Still, I do believe it is ich. That thing on his head looks like it a bit, and there in a white spot under his right eye that is concerning D: What is the medicine you are using? I dont know if you are, but I wouldnt combine the two medicines, they might not work well together D:
Also, it looks a little like his fins are tattered. He might have fin rot, which sometimes goes hand and hand with ich. It might be becuase his tank has too much stray food decomposing on the bottom, etc, and can be cured with more frequent water changes and aquarium salt (petstores :D)
The medicine youre using might be just fine, so let us know :B
Old 01-18-2011, 04:17 PM   #6 
rshal

Thank you so much for the info! I treated the tank today with "Fungus Cure" by API. It says it treats "Fungus, mouth fungus (cotton mouth disease), body slime, eye cloud, and fin and tail rot. The other medication that I bought but haven't used yet is "Liquid Super Ick Cure" also made by API.

Since I probably shouldn't mix the two medications, would you recommend doign another full tank change tomorrow and treating him with the Ick treatment instead?

I bought him about a month ago, and his fins/tail was tattered like that when I bought him. I figured that it was normal, because all of the other fish had tails that looked tattered that way! :(

I don't let stray food decompose much on the bottom. There might only be one piece that actually gets away from him during a feeding. He doesn't seem to be acting funny in any other way. So hopefully I'm catching this and taking care of it soon enough! Thank you soo much for all your help Pew!
Old 01-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #7 
Creat

I would use some medication the includes Methylene Blue because it can treat both velvet, ich and most external fungus. I also tend to use aquarium salt in my treatment as well.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:40 PM   #8 
rshal

I had picked up a bottle of Methylene Blue but the guy at Petsmart talked me out of buying it! I researched it on here before I went to the pet store and seen that it was helpful. I should have just bought it anyway! I'm definitely picking up the aquarium salt. Thank you so much!
Old 01-18-2011, 04:41 PM   #9 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Thank you so much for the info! I treated the tank today with "Fungus Cure" by API. It says it treats "Fungus, mouth fungus (cotton mouth disease), body slime, eye cloud, and fin and tail rot. The other medication that I bought but haven't used yet is "Liquid Super Ick Cure" also made by API.

Since I probably shouldn't mix the two medications, would you recommend doign another full tank change tomorrow and treating him with the Ick treatment instead?

I bought him about a month ago, and his fins/tail was tattered like that when I bought him. I figured that it was normal, because all of the other fish had tails that looked tattered that way! :(

I don't let stray food decompose much on the bottom. There might only be one piece that actually gets away from him during a feeding. He doesn't seem to be acting funny in any other way. So hopefully I'm catching this and taking care of it soon enough! Thank you soo much for all your help Pew!
No praabbb :B My betta had the exact same thing, but it was HARD to notice because hes a light color.
That Ich cure stuff, if its blue, is what I use. Its great stuff! :D I love it because its easy to measure and doesnt leave the tank an odd color (after it dissolves).
I honestly think it's ich, but it is possible it isnt. It is up to you what you wanna do, or maybe a realllyy experienced member like OldFishLady can identify.
If it is ich, its in the first stage (where medication wont work..), where the nasties are stuck to him in his skin. They will later fall off and sink (yuk, and also, medicine wont work..), but THEN! they breed and swim to find a host and that's when you GET EM! :P (with the medicine) I'd start by taking out your gravel/plants, etc and boiling/scalding them in a few days for a few days. Keep the heat up (82) and keep an eye on it.
If not ich, then just go by what the bottle says :D I dont have experience with fungus :c But what youre using is a good brand from what I know, so god speed! :B
As for the fins, yeah, cupped bettas usually do have that. Warm water, cleaaannn conditioned water and some aquarium salt will be perfect. <3
Old 01-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #10 
rshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
No praabbb :B My betta had the exact same thing, but it was HARD to notice because hes a light color.
That Ich cure stuff, if its blue, is what I use. Its great stuff! :D I love it because its easy to measure and doesnt leave the tank an odd color (after it dissolves).
I honestly think it's ich, but it is possible it isnt. It is up to you what you wanna do, or maybe a realllyy experienced member like OldFishLady can identify.
If it is ich, its in the first stage (where medication wont work..), where the nasties are stuck to him in his skin. They will later fall off and sink (yuk, and also, medicine wont work..), but THEN! they breed and swim to find a host and that's when you GET EM! :P (with the medicine) I'd start by taking out your gravel/plants, etc and boiling/scalding them in a few days for a few days. Keep the heat up (82) and keep an eye on it.
If not ich, then just go by what the bottle says :D I dont have experience with fungus :c But what youre using is a good brand from what I know, so god speed! :B
As for the fins, yeah, cupped bettas usually do have that. Warm water, cleaaannn conditioned water and some aquarium salt will be perfect. <3
Thank you so much for all your help! I'm taking everything into consideration and hopefully I'll be able to get him all better very soon! Next cleaning I'll boil the gravel. I scald it each time I clean it, but I'll clean it with boiling water next time. I'll keep you updated!

Tags
betta, fungus, ick