Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2011, 06:54 PM   #21 
TheKingsFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
I'm not a breeder, but this is good for sexing if, say, testing if your sorority females are really female. Great info! And I agree it should be stickied!
Currently in this boat with one of our "females." See thread titled "Dude looks like a lady?"
TheKingsFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:33 PM   #22 
PeggyJ

I dont know if it is true for bettas.. but dragon lady is correct that many fish do this. Grouper change gender and so do swordtails. I believe it is generally females changing to male. I've read that they do this if there are not enough males in their living space. I have personally seen one of my female swordtails change.
PeggyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:12 PM   #23 
nOOb iHACK

I agree... I don't believe bettas are hermaphrodites or capable of changing their sexes. I know most fish are, though. I have paired different clown fish to one another and one of them (usually the smaller one) turns into a male.

Great info on determining the sex but would you please explain or show photos of a betta in the light with ovaries showing?
nOOb iHACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:45 PM   #24 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by nOOb iHACK View Post

Great info on determining the sex but would you please explain or show photos of a betta in the light with ovaries showing?
I would like to see this as well.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:02 PM   #25 
Dragonlady

Although I can see in real life on darker bodied females when held up to a bright light, it is easier to photograph on lighter bodied females. The best comparison I can think of is looking at a baby chick through an egg shell under a bright light to check for female organs. I hope this helps explain how to identify a female betta a bit better.

Anyway, here are several photo examples of where to look to see if you have a female betta.

The female parts are located where she bars up.

By the way, here is an article that proves that female bettas are capable of sex reversal.

Sex reversal in female Betta splendens as a function of testosterone manipulation and social influence
Abstract

In Experiment 1, female Betta given daily injections of testosterone (T) for 9 weeks acquired anatomical features characteristic of males as indicated by changes in fin length, body coloration, and gonadal morphology. These findings suggested that a potential for sex reversal exists in females of this species. In Experiment 2 we measured changes in aggressive behavior during testosterone-induced anatomical changes. Aggression decreased toward females and increased toward males as treatment with T progressed. The final displays of aggressive behavior and anatomical characteristics of fish injected with T resembled those of typical males. In Experiment 3, female Betta primed with T injections for 3 or 6 weeks and permitted to interact socially with females continued to display characteristics of sex reversal after T supplementation ceased. Sex reversal in isolated fish injected with T for 3 or 6 weeks was not sustained, and fish receiving only the control vehicle showed negligible change in both the isolated and community conditions. We discuss the results in terms of similarities with the sex change process found in isolated communities of coral reef fish.

Source:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3180734
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:04 PM   #26 
bettalover2033

Thats a very good source. Okay so basically females CAN change into males right?
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:12 PM   #27 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Oh my gosh... doesn't this doom the whole sorority senario??? Especially if the 'females' are all young????

Ow, my brain hurts.....
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:18 PM   #28 
Oldfishlady

From my understanding-this is artificial sex reversal and not natural sex reversal, however, I have seen natural sex reversal is some species of saltwater species.....I have not been able to find any information on natural sex reversal in the Betta splendens only artificial in scientific research

Got any scientific study links for natural sex reversal....this is a very interesting subject.....

Here is a link about sex reversal in dogs....http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...90102/abstract

I wish you didn't have to buy some of the studies they have on that site...some would really be interesting to read
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:29 AM   #29 
baylee767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here Fishy Fishy Fishy View Post
Oh my gosh... doesn't this doom the whole sorority senario??? Especially if the 'females' are all young????
This. At my Petco they only sell very young females. So does that mean if i setup a sorority with them they will change gender? Boy this really confuses things.

I always knew some fish change gender, but Not Betta 0.0
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:00 AM   #30 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

baylee767,

Now I'm wondering if the bettas bought retail are all sexed CORRECTLY. O_O

Your average consumer: a) wouldn't know the difference; b) would only put one betta per container; and c) isn't going to try to build a sorority.

Argh.
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote