Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-19-2011, 07:26 PM   #1 
PewPewPew

Double Fish-in cycle...n00b. D:

Im nervous! ARGH! Very, very nervous for this. I just divided my 5gallon Marineland Hex with Neelie's divider tutorial :D Im waiting the two days for the sealant to set.
Im gonna cycle it with my two boys in as the ammonia providers.
I still have lots to read up on about it. Does anyone have a good, reliable site that can give me easy to follow directions? I know there is a sticky, which I read, but it didnt tell me enough.
Also, I bought a water testing kit at Petsmart today for it. The manager (who seemed to acually have a brain and care! WHAT A MIRACLE! lol) I got Jungle's Quick Dip Complete, its strips, 25 that test ammonia and 25 that test nitrate, nitrite, hardness, chlorine, alkalinity, pH and ammonia.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2753422

Any tips for what to look for ideally, and what can hurt my boys?
He advised me to get Bacteria supplement, too, because I couldnt afford the $20 "cycle" stuff :C Is this good stuff?
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752206

My tank has a "bio wheel" in it, too. Good stuff, yes? I hopes?

SO CONFUSED AND SKJdl;ajsdfkshdklghasdjf
@__@
Sooo yeah. What do you think? And any tips or good sites?
Thankies <3
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

Oh. This is the thank, btw. Im putting pake foliage from Michael's (on sale!) into the mesh to make it look cool :B Not finished but yay! I also have a red one for when Im feeling like a change <3

(The tape is just to help hold it in place, btw- lol)
Old 01-19-2011, 07:39 PM   #3 
c4talys7

Can you post a link for that divider tutorial? I'm needing to make one pretty soon for my two boys

I like the foliage btw! It's going to look awesome when it's finish!
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

Thanks! Im hoping it looks nice and distracts them from (possibly) seeing one another :P Gotta love sales at Michael's!
Here's the link: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=40025
My only suggestion is to not buy metal mesh, but rather to buy crochet boards from a craft store, theyre plastic and come in lots of colors :D I got mine at Michael's (which you might not have..) for 50 cents each ;)
Old 01-19-2011, 08:00 PM   #5 
c4talys7

Yeah I was very irritated when I found out that they didn't have a Michael's here. They have some of that at WalMart though so I'll pick up some there. Thanks for the link!
c4talys7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:01 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

No problem!
Old 01-19-2011, 08:23 PM   #7 
Malvolti

In my experience any bacterial additive that claims to help cycling actually only hurts it. Some people have had luck with certain brands but I don't remember which or think they are necessary.

If possible you want a seed material. If you know anyone who has a cycled tank or if you already have an established tank yourself just use some gravel from it. It will help out the process a lot.

Biowheels are usually great for cycling, they have a lot of surface area for bacteria to colonize.

I personally find live plants help the process a lot but by the sounds of it you have a tight budget for this and plants can be costly.

Something like Prime can also help. If ammonia, nitrite or nitrate levels are getting a little high you can add a few drops of Prime to make them less harmful without disrupting the process. Not that it's a replacement for water changes, you still need to do those.

Since you are doing double fish-in I would say be VERY cautious and do twice daily water tests.

I've never found a good cycling guide. There are tons of sites that tell you what cycling is and why it is important but none that explain HOW to do it.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:37 PM   #8 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvolti View Post
In my experience any bacterial additive that claims to help cycling actually only hurts it. Some people have had luck with certain brands but I don't remember which or think they are necessary.

If possible you want a seed material. If you know anyone who has a cycled tank or if you already have an established tank yourself just use some gravel from it. It will help out the process a lot.

Biowheels are usually great for cycling, they have a lot of surface area for bacteria to colonize.

I personally find live plants help the process a lot but by the sounds of it you have a tight budget for this and plants can be costly.

Something like Prime can also help. If ammonia, nitrite or nitrate levels are getting a little high you can add a few drops of Prime to make them less harmful without disrupting the process. Not that it's a replacement for water changes, you still need to do those.

Since you are doing double fish-in I would say be VERY cautious and do twice daily water tests.

I've never found a good cycling guide. There are tons of sites that tell you what cycling is and why it is important but none that explain HOW to do it.
Fffffffragh! That blows. And yeah, I do have a tight budget on this one and extreamly limited access to anything (if at all) a crappy Walmart once Im back in school the 23rd. I dont have acess to an established tank, sadly. I have returns to do at Petsmart, so maybe Ill return that bacteria thing then.
If I may ask, how often do I do water changes? Like.. I dont know what to dooo! @_@ And I dont wanna hurt my boys, or mess up the cycle.
From what Im getting is:
I put my boys in their tank with their (should be) around 77-82' water, condition it, go ahead as usual.
That's all I know D,:
I dont know what levels to look for to keep them healthy :( Im guessing that if things get hairy, I'd just take them out of their tank and/or do a water change?
I bought a gravel vac/siphon so I wouldnt have to upheave the whole tank to clean it a bit, too.
Do I just wait for the filter to establish and try and keep the poor things alive until then?! @_@
Old 01-19-2011, 08:58 PM   #9 
Malvolti

I'm not the best person to advise about cycling a 5 gallon, I've only ever done 10s. I know in a 10 while trying to cycle you want to do 2 changes of 50% per week, one with and one without vacuuming. It stands to reason that a 5 gallon whould need more than that but I don't know how much more.

From what I remember you don't want your params to go above;

Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 5
Nitrate: 50

But I could be wrong, this is from the top of my head so I could easily have my numbers confused. If they are getting close to that, whatever the real numbers are, you need to do a water change since anything above that will kill the fish. However doing too many changes can disrupt the cycle. Too much gravel vacuuming can also disrupt the cycle.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:06 PM   #10 
PewPewPew

Great, thank you. Ill keep looking into things in greater depth, though youve helped me sort through the excessive TON of info Ive been getting!
Maybe I'd do 4 changes of 25% a week with vaccuming once or twice in that, alternating in the changes.
Hrmmm... *thinks*
I can do this!! >.<
Thank you very much for the input :)