Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2011, 01:29 PM   #1 
leonelqzd

Question heater makes sleepy bettas?

3 days ago i got a top fin 50 watt heater for my 10 gallon tank and a 25 watt for my 5 gallon they seemed to like it but yesterday in my 10 gallon they spent the whole day sleeping my male floating at the top and my female sleeping on the bottom.

my 5 gal is the same way its spilt with a divider and i have to males in it but there sleeping aswell.

the heaters are set at 79 degrees they still eat but there lazy as heck now they were active before the heater swimming everywhere staring at me when i was near now they just seem dead are they just extra comfortable or something?
leonelqzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:41 PM   #2 
FishyFriend1

have you cleaned or transferred anything lately? anything that could cause them to become stressed and tired?
FishyFriend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #3 
leonelqzd

i did add some flourish for my live plants in my 10 gal other then that no i noticed that one has SBD all of them seem to have there tails closed except my dthm but i took him out of the 5 gal because he doesnt seem to like to be in a deep tank
Old 01-16-2011, 06:00 PM   #4 
leonelqzd

i changed 85% of the water incase i added to much hope it helps
Old 01-18-2011, 11:31 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Have you checked the water temperature?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:37 AM   #6 
AveryJc

I've noticed this as well. After moving my Betta from the community tank to his own bowl. With the average outside temp being a constant below zero, I slapped myself of the forehead for not thinking to put a heater in the bowl. Now he spends a lot of his time curled up next to the heater, but not all. Of course there is less going on now that hes by himself. I do float a mirror for him about twice a day. But as you said, they seem to love the heater a bit to much. I'll stick a thermometer in the bowl tomorrow and see if there is large difference in water temp from the heater to the opposite side
AveryJc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:06 AM   #7 
HarleyRigid

Could be a good idea to check your water temp with a thermometer. Even if your heater is set to 79 that doesnt mean that the water temp is 79. Heater could be faulty... Maybe through a manufacturing fault the temp settings are inacurate... Heater could just be not working. Never can be too sure, your heater may have been dropped before you bought it etc.
Hope you get it figured out
HarleyRigid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:37 PM   #8 
Goomba3

When I first put the heater in Cheep-Cheep's tank, he hung out at the bottom by it, like he was trying to stay warm. Now that it's heated up his tank, he doesn't hang around the bottom too much, just swims around like normal. But at first, he did seem tired.
Goomba3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:13 PM   #9 
Wildcat

Hi Everyone,
I am a Betta Newbie...and saw this post that hit right at home. I recently got a larger tank 3.5 Gal and moved my Male Betta into it with the heater, and airpump. He is doing the same thing, hanging out at the bottom...hiding in the plants, etc. My water temp is 78 , (I have a thermometer) Could it be he just has to get used to the larger and heated tank? He seems ok when I talk to him, or tap on the side he gets active. Any thoughts welcomed.
Thanks, Wildcat
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:26 PM   #10 
AveryJc

Ok, after checking water temps with a probe type thermometer, I can verify that the entire bowl is the same temp. Varies by .4* F. The heater is black with acrylic(maybe) tube. Maybe he just sees his reflection and trying to figure out how another fish got in that small tube! Maybe just general curiosity on this new thing in his tank. After transferring some moss over to his bowl he seems to be acting much more normal.

I'd say nothing to worry about.
AveryJc is offline   Reply With Quote