Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2011, 10:56 PM   #1 
iamjaxraah

Exclamation !Deteriorating Fins, White Splotches... Help :[

my black and orange fish, Klaus has something wrong with him, but I don't know what. His fins look like either fin rot or tail biting and on his black body he has white splotches. I don't think it's ick because as I recall, that looks more like salt.

But here's the problem: I just had 3 fish die this week because of a contaminated net after doing water changes. I took him out also with the same net and I'm afraid of him suffering the same fate as my other three. *I threw the net out today and bought 2 new ones, one for live fish, one for... not.*

I feel so terrible that I didn't even notice the issue with the net, either. But I really need to know what's wrong with klaus and how to fix it... fast!

Also, he lives in a 2.5 gallon tank by himself and has some [fake] plants that I was advised would not rip his fins.
iamjaxraah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:03 PM   #2 
Tsuhei

White splotches tell me it's columnaris, a fungal infection that can be quite deadly.

Do a 100% water change and add some aquarium salt (1 tsp/gallon) and depending on the growth and progress, get some Maracyn and follow the directions to the T.

Do 100% water changes every day for 7 days...be sure to acclimate him each time. Use aquarium salt and maracyn during this process.

Plus, pictures would help.
Tsuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:28 PM   #3 
iamjaxraah

Thanks sooo much! I will have pictures up later today. where can I get the salt and maracyn? (like is it a specialty type or just whatever is at the pet/fish store?)
Old 01-20-2011, 11:35 PM   #4 
Tsuhei

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjaxraah View Post
Thanks sooo much! I will have pictures up later today. where can I get the salt and maracyn? (like is it a specialty type or just whatever is at the pet/fish store?)
You can buy maracyn and aquarium salt at petsmart. I prefer to use API Aquarium salt..its not very expensive.

Tip: I have 2.5 gallon tanks, too. Each packet of Maracyn (powder) is for 10 gallons of water. So when I was using this for severe finrot that aquarium salt alone could not handle, what I did was mix the packet with 4 tablespoons of warm water to help it dissolve in a smaller container (treated water, of course). After it dissolved, I stirred it and used 1 tablespoon a day to fully use the treatment in the correct dosage without guessing how many grams or "eyeballing" the amount of medication.

FYI - Do not use Aquarium salt for more than 7 days at a time..using it for a long period of time can damage a betta's internal organs.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:45 PM   #5 
lilchiwolf

Aw I feel bad for you. This is the same thing that killed 4 of my fish within 2 weeks! Good luck to you!
lilchiwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:56 PM   #6 
iamjaxraah

also, is it a good or bad idea to move him into a smaller tank for the 7 days of changing the water or just keep him in his 2.5 gallon?
and thanks again!
Old 01-21-2011, 05:03 PM   #7 
Tsuhei

It is not a bad idea - a quarantine tank is quite useful for treating your betta. However, it needs to have a heater or you can float it in your current tank during treatment to keep the water the same temperature...just be sure to fix it to the side of the tank so it doesn't sink and drown your betta.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:43 PM   #8 
iamjaxraah

I put maracyn and aquarium salt in the tank after the water change and moved the tank from upstairs on a table to the kitchen counter next to the sink so it's easier to do water changes. Klaus seems okay, hard to tell though... I only did this like an hour ago. His swimming seems a little more lively when he's not just chillin on the leaf thing I have for him. Water temp is warm, a seemingly perfect temperature.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #9 
iamjaxraah

Exclamation

http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/...aah/?start=all

all these are pictures of Klaus and his fungus/finrot
Old 01-22-2011, 07:14 PM   #10 
anglnarnld

I just got Pimafix for my fish today for the same syptoms, it works great!! I had gotten it before for the same reason a couple months ago and it was gone it 3 days!!
anglnarnld is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help!, ripped fins, sick, white splotches