Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2011, 03:02 AM   #1 
KohakuJack

Aggressive Betta towards Corydoras

Hi. I've now had my Betta, Max, for a few months and before Christmas, I bought him a new 10 gallon tank, an upgrade from his previous 3 gallon tank. Last week, I decided to add 4 Corydoras (2 Albino and 2 Peppered), with the intention of adding a Bristlenose Plec in the near future. The Corydoras have settled in very quickly and were soon going about their business. Unfortunately, Max has taken a disliking to his new tank mates and is now constantly chasing them. For some reason, he appears to be leaving the Albinos alone and concentrating his efforts on the Peppered (which are slightly bigger).

After searching the internet for ideas, I found a possible solution; take Max out and either place in him a temporary tank or in a breeding trap for 1-2 weeks. Before releasing him back into the tank, change the layout of the tank to make him think he is no longer in his territory.

Does anyone have any views on this or any other ideas that I can explore please?
KohakuJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #2 
vaygirl

How heavily decorated is the tank? The more plants you have to cut line of sight, the better. Hiding places like caves and dark corners will help. You can try to move him out and reintroduce him.

If none of that works, get him his own space. Sometimes they just don't want to share. Tango was booted out of my 16 gallon for the exact same behavior. He's much happier in his 5 gallon.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:55 AM   #3 
scootshoot

Some betta's prefer solo regardless of tank size. My male was transferred from a 5 to a 14 a month ago. While he was doing great at the 14 health wise, he never built a bubble nest and was constantly chasing the 3 platy's. I also noticed a torn fin and witnessed one of the platy's taking a nip.

I retransferred him back to his original 5 gallon home and within a hour of placement he was back to building a huge bubble nest (took a pic as I was surprised how quickly he re-adapted back at his previous crib). Gonna leave him there permanently as it's obvious he is perfectly content in his 5 and prefers his own quarters.

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  109.9 KB
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote