Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2011, 11:44 PM   #1 
peachesxo

Filter sucks up Betta's food right away!

Hi,
My betta has been acting funny but he just got a new tank and is doing WAY better now, the only problem is when i try to feed him the filker sucks up his little pellet right away before he even notices it pretty much.
I just turned it off and he still hasn't touched it so am i going to need to turn it off everytime i try to feed him?

Ah, it comes back out later and he eats it then spits it then eats a little more.
I guess it's because he's still young and the tank is new.

I gave him an extra 2 pellets because i thought they kept disappearing forever. Won't do that next time :)

Last edited by peachesxo; 01-20-2011 at 11:50 PM.
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:44 AM   #2 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachesxo View Post
Hi,
My betta has been acting funny but he just got a new tank and is doing WAY better now, the only problem is when i try to feed him the filker sucks up his little pellet right away before he even notices it pretty much.
I just turned it off and he still hasn't touched it so am i going to need to turn it off everytime i try to feed him?

Ah, it comes back out later and he eats it then spits it then eats a little more.
I guess it's because he's still young and the tank is new.

I gave him an extra 2 pellets because i thought they kept disappearing forever. Won't do that next time :)
Im a little concerned with that filter!! D:
If its strong enough to suck up the surface food, then it might be just plain too strong. If you're not careful, it could suck your poor boy right up or tear at his fins. take one peice of a clean plastic bag and see if it gets sucked into the filter. If so, its too strong.
If youre not willing to find a way to slow it (bad idea D;) then, yeah- Id shut it off..
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:02 PM   #3 
ChicagoPete

Its as simple as unpluging it during feeding thatway he will have a chance to eat. But if He's eating then spitting the food might not be to his likeing and you may have to change brands. Keep a veriaty of pellets and Freeze dried bloodworms and see witch he likes best.
ChicagoPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:05 PM   #4 
drg889

i had a similar problem, well, it was mainly just the current was too strong (it was in a 5gal tank). it made my betta literally swirl around and eventually almost got caught in the intake before i turned it off. I went to my local pet store and got a filter sponge for a couple dollars, and cut it a certain way to fit and tied it around the intake and where it comes out and voila, low current :)
drg889 is offline   Reply With Quote