Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2011, 12:58 PM   #1 
soccerdog693

Betta tank lighting

Ok, so I have a question about lighting....

Xander is in a 2.5 gal aquarium in my dorm room at school. He's on a book shelf in my wall closet (doors are always open) but because it still is kinda dark in there I leave the hood light on during the day to give him a sense of day and night. His heater keeps the tank at 77 degrees (pre-set) at night but I've noticed with the aquarium light on during the day the heater turns off and his tank gets up to almost 82 degrees. I figured a five degree day/night fluxuation was bad for him. :/

I wasn't sure what to do about the heating/light situation, so I reaplaced the 15 watt incandescent bulb with a 10 watt fluorescent one that won't produce so much heat. I think it looks great, personally, now you can really see his beautiful fin colors, but do you guys know if bettas have any problems with fluorescent lighting? I don't want to get rid of the light all together cuz then it's pretty dark, even during the day, do to his tank placement, but I want ot keep his temp steady.

Oh, and if you're wondering why he's in the closet, it's because that's the best place where I can see him and he's not in direct sunlight or by the freezing window. Don't worry, he's not shoved in some corner, he's pretty close to my desk and he actually watches me whenever I'm doing homework at my desk. :D
soccerdog693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #2 
Malvolti

Jokes about being "In the closet" aside, the betta will be fine with flourescent. Many people who have live plants use flourescents with their tanks.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote