Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2011, 06:10 PM   #1 
sniper8752

betta flaring???

when i turn off my light, and leave my tank light on, my betta goes berserk, and flares up... he seems to be more overwhelmed... im thinking he's seeing himself in the reflection off the tank windows. i turned the light back on in my room, and he stopped... any ideas?

thnx!
sniper8752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:46 PM   #2 
Aluyasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper8752 View Post
when i turn off my light, and leave my tank light on, my betta goes berserk, and flares up... he seems to be more overwhelmed... im thinking he's seeing himself in the reflection off the tank windows. i turned the light back on in my room, and he stopped... any ideas?

thnx!
You are right, he is seeing his reflection when your light is off but his is still on. My Abacus does it all the time. If you do not want him to flare then either leave your light on or put a nightlght or something next to his tank to maybe reduce the reflection. :)
It is ok for your Betta to flare sometimes, just not for very long periods because it might be stressing him out.
Do you turn his light off when you go to sleep?
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:05 PM   #3 
Scrambles

Maybe he is afraid of the dark
Scrambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:24 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

Hahah at Scrambles..
My tank is notorious for having overly reflective sides, so I feel you.
What I do in low light is wrap either a scarf or put a tissue skirt (lol) over it is dark in there, so they cant see themselves at all.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:27 PM   #5 
sniper8752

i think he has a bubble nest actuallly... can anyone give me the lowdown... is he being defensive? what is this, actually? any good links/descriptions??

thanks!
Old 01-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #6 
BettasForever

A bubble nest is your fish's way of saying that he's happy, healthy, and ready to mate. Mating is not necessary, I hear the babies are a lot of work (if you're successful). If you don't want to mate, then you can just leave the bubblenest be. Again, it's just your way of saying that you fish is happy and healthy, and you're doing a good job of taking care of him. ;)
BettasForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:34 AM   #7 
sniper8752

if his fins aren't in top-notch shape, then wouldn't that go against healthy? lol and can a male make babbies for the bubble nest? or do you need a female? and yes, from what i hear, it is a TON of work! =D

(by the way, when you named your fish, "comet", thats the day i was born... hahah)
Old 01-25-2011, 08:36 AM   #8 
sniper8752

and should i put a cover over my tank, so he does not flare when i keep on walking by, so he does not stress out? and how long would this go on for? do they constantly do it?
Old 01-25-2011, 02:36 PM   #9 
BettasForever

Question 1: No, you should just give him aquarium salt or Epsom salt to encourage fin growth.

Question 2: No a male can not make babies on his own, he needs a female. If you are interested in breeding you should research it alot to make sure you know what you're doing.

Question 3: A cover would be a good idea. They flare for awhile at things, they finally stop.
BettasForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:50 PM   #10 
bettafish15

When treating with Aquarium salt or Epsom salt, stop using it after 7-10 days. Dont use them unless you really think somethings wrong with his fins :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote