Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2011, 07:07 PM   #1 
Newtonbetta

diatom control

Its growing all over my tank divider, fake plants and decor.

It's really getting annoying and looks like crap.

I change the water once a week, probably replace 3-4gallons (out of 10) per week. Sorry, but I don't have time to do it more.

It's not ever in direct sunlight, although my Theo Hydor heater keeps it heated at 82 (i have it set on lowest setting). I am getting a new heater b/c 82 is a bit too hot in my opinion, and the thermostat does not appear to be accurate in the least.. Could this high temp be to blame for the diatoms?

Is there any other way to control them other than water change and wiping them off? VERY ANNOYING PROBLEM!
Newtonbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:36 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Diatoms or brown algae that are easily wiped away...

Most common cause-new tank set up and/or old light bulbs

Best control-manual removal by wiping them off the walls and items in the tank-then vacuum with weekly 50% water changes until the tank matures and they resolve on their own....if tank is mature (3-6 months) and/or diatoms re-appear after they resolve on their own...a new light bulb may be needed...especially if the bulb is older than 1 year...also, on the hood-sometimes the plastic or glass separator between the light and water may need to be cleaned

Diatoms are normal in new tanks...algae in general are normal and expected in container of water that have both light and nutrients....as a fish keeper it is the keepers/hobbyist responsibility to control these things in a closed system and make needed water changes to maintain water quality..just part of fish keeping.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:03 PM   #3 
Newtonbetta

Thank you for replying. My tank was set up on 11/15 (two months ago). So I guess this is still a "new tank." The light bulb is therefore 2 months old as well.

So would you say keep manually wiping for another few months and hope for the best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Diatoms or brown algae that are easily wiped away...

Most common cause-new tank set up and/or old light bulbs

Best control-manual removal by wiping them off the walls and items in the tank-then vacuum with weekly 50% water changes until the tank matures and they resolve on their own....if tank is mature (3-6 months) and/or diatoms re-appear after they resolve on their own...a new light bulb may be needed...especially if the bulb is older than 1 year...also, on the hood-sometimes the plastic or glass separator between the light and water may need to be cleaned

Diatoms are normal in new tanks...algae in general are normal and expected in container of water that have both light and nutrients....as a fish keeper it is the keepers/hobbyist responsibility to control these things in a closed system and make needed water changes to maintain water quality..just part of fish keeping.....
Newtonbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:10 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

A little more time and diatoms should resolve...keep up with wiping and weekly water changes.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote